How much does being a URM help in admissions for MIT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: How much does being a URM help in admissions for MIT?
By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

How much special consideration do URMs get?

By May_1 (May_1) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

It think, like any other rare commodity (because applicants are commodities, not people), you are given a preferential look in admissions. A URM with 75th pecentile scores and GPA is looked upon favorably, but they also have to have everything else.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Haha...applicants aren't commodities...

They're potential tuition cheques attached to application fees.

By Flamingo (Flamingo) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

All I can say is that I know a mediocre female URM who was accepted into MIT. Her SATs were probably about a 1150, and her ECs did not compensate.

At least, she was smart enough to realize that the school is extremely tough, and consequently decided not to matriculate at MIT.

By 123456789abcdef (123456789abcdef) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

ouch that was harsh Flamingo...maybe she didn't matriculate at MIT because she wanted more of a liberal arts education? I'm sure that when the admissions office admits a person, they're confident that he/she can do the work

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

what is urm

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

wow, under represented minority, i feel silly.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page