MIT or USC's bac/md : 6 DAYS LEFT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: MIT or USC's bac/md : 6 DAYS LEFT
By Ptarlye (Ptarlye) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Everyone,

MIT ($0) v. USC's Bac/MD (full ride & garenteed med-school) v. Northwestern's HPME ($0)

I'm having a very difficult time choosing among those three even though i've narrowed it down to usc and mit (due to finances). After visiting MIT, i immediately fell in love with the campus, the people, the endless opportunities, etc. I felt a connection with teh student body there that i didn't quite experience at usc (however, this can also be due to the fact that i haven't stayed at usc for an extended period of time) I know for sure i want to enter the medical field and i know i want to end up in la in the future. this seems to point the road to usc, but i've been getting responses from many people that going to mit will provide me with more opportunities to perhaps even get into better medical schools than usc's. I am really confused right now and would like some really needed advice. Thanks!

- Missmoy

By Ptarlye (Ptarlye) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

PS: how hard is it to get in to USC's med program from MIT? Will it be a struggle?

By Tro348a (Tro348a) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:46 am: Edit

If you intend to do research (i.e. get a MD/PhD, or try to get into specialized MD programs like HST) go to MIT. If you just want to do clinical practice, without any research, think hard before you let this opportunity go. There are some good things about USC. There are also some not-so-good things. Quite a few people in the Bac/MD program w/ the Trustees (of which I am a part of) turned down HYPSM et al for the program, but do you really want to be the person who "turned down MIT," or do you want to be the person who graduated from MIT? I would give you advice for what to do, but tis really is a personal decision. In four years you might regreat turning down USC, but then again, will you ahve regreatted going to one of best schools in the country (MIT, if I haven't been clear)? 5 days.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page