How was CPW!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: How was CPW!?
By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

so how was CPW everyone!?
are you now set on coming to MIT?
where did you say?
what did you do?
what do you think?
what's most memorable?

By Zzii (Zzii) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

CPW was amazing. I was 95% sure of coming before, and now I'm and set. I stayed at Next House (where the sidewalk ends...) and definitely liked it there. My host pulled an all-nighter on Thursday I think so I didn't see him but his roommate was cool and our side of the floor hung out at night until about 4AM just talking. Sleep was minimal. I went to two classes and a lot of events including the Cool Project open house, Dorm Tour, Roadkill Buffet comedy show, Burton-Conner Movie.

I think the most memorable thing was getting up at 9AM on Saturday Morning and seeing a guy from the next room sitting in the lounge working on his computer. I had been watching TV in his room until about 3:30 AM so I asked him when he went to sleep. He told me he still had not yet gotten to sleep. That pretty much sums up the atmosphere.

By Vedaine (Vedaine) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

CPW was way too awesome. (And CC meet-up was interesting...) I had been 90%, and now I'm 100% sure I'm coming to MIT next year. (PoutingMinotaur, I definately saw you there!) Plus, I've figured out which dorm I want and who I could perspectively room with.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

how was that cc meeting anyways, some ppl met up, then no one was there so a group of us just left and hung out.

By Wwoloszyn (Wwoloszyn) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

It was an absolute blast:
1) Crazy foam party
2) Deciphering Genome genius as an intro to bio teacher - who'd a thunk it?
3) The "together" atmosphere
4) Hard working kids w/ lots of steam to blow off the weekends = late night fun in Boston
5) Surprisingly attractive people - especially the foreign ones!
6) Amazing frats - what a shock!
7) The people there REALLY want you to come back - we got treated like kings.
8) Amazing dorm life, lots of selections.
9) Boston, Boston, Boston
10) Promise of making friends that will a) be millionaires b) become famous c) will get you involved in hacks!

By Samueladams (Samueladams) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

CPW was awesome, I was very unsure about MIT before I came, and now I have a much better impression of it. Stay in a frat, it's the best thing you can do. You have a resource of people to talk to from all grades, you get to party with them, and you get a real impression of what MIT is like. I was real happy to see that the people in the frat could handle their work and do awesome, yet loved to party on the weekends. Hooking up with a hot chick made it an even more memorable experience for me, but the guys in the frat really took it. They were just so damn cool and I found them quite similar to me. I didn't attend the CC meetup, hope it was interesting... And the girls in our class are pretty cute, however I kind of saw that "MIT guys go for other girls" atmosphere, but then again I think the MIT guys were better looking than the girls, so go figure.

By Bmckn (Bmckn) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

So fun.

My only problem was in pronouncing my vowel-less CC username.

Oh. It was troubling that 90% of the prefrosh seemed to be at frat parties, though. That's really weird of you all. So weird.

I'll post more things I liked after my paper skyscraper of homework is finished. I almost accidently typed "funished". That would be wrong. There is no fun here in Iowa. Wah!

By Coderdeity (Coderdeity) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

CPW.....awsome.
My favorite part was the tangerine tour, i so wanna be a tourguide when i go there. I hope i get to stay in east campus because those guys rock.

By Vedaine (Vedaine) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Bmckn - Gah! I finally joined CC, but I never got to say goodbye to you and give you my business card thing because I lost you after the BOTB when I left with Steve and Ruth...

CPW was pretty sweet, though, and MIT guys were rediculously good looking (not ALL of them, obviously...)

By Girlnotgrey (Girlnotgrey) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

CPW was definite awesomeness...and I met some pretty snappy people there as well. *pokes Bmckn and Vedaine* I was absolutely dead today at school, though...think I definitely got like a 1 on my practice AP lit exam. Woohoo.

Is it September yet?

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Definitely an awesome experience.

I stayed in Delta Tau Delta and all the guys there seemed to be pretty cool. The parties were great (Goldfish kicked ass!) and I met a lot of other MIT ppl as well as a bunch of girls from other local schools (simmons, wesley, bu)..it was fun. I also went to all the parties Sat night - they were great as well. From the social perspective - it seemed like a lot of fun - I do realize that CPW is more active partying than usual but the social environment still kicks ass. As far as academics, I went to a Biology class and the UROP discussion panel. The research oppurtunities are endless and the biology lecture was really good - I actually understood it perfectly - was very good. I don't think I met any CC people that I know of atleast haha. Anyways, I was really impressed to find out that there were actually a ton of good looking girls at MIT.

Overall, this trip changed my decision to attend MIT from 99% sure to 100% sure. Definitly going! Can't wait to see you guys next year!

By Wintermute (Wintermute) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Infinitely cool.

I got to meet the folks here from the CC board, which was great. Between the water-balloon fights, Tangerine tour, BBQ's and barging into random dorms, I think it was a well-spent weekend...or half-weekend, considering I had to come home early to work (Curse you, Dunkin Donuts! :)). I'm still not entirely positive about going, but if I do wind up at MIT (and I probably will), then I want to live on "EAsT camPUS" for sure!

BTW, Bmckn, did you enjoy the $4 CPW meal card? Lol. What did you guys do after I left?

By Imgoingtomit (Imgoingtomit) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

So I know I met some of you at CPW but I can't seem to figure out who's who. My name is Irene and I stayed in 3W. EAsT camPUS rules! My AIM sn is zipi197 if you want to talk.

By Samueladams (Samueladams) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

That's so odd, I think I would never consider living at east campus, probably because I'm content stereotyping the whole group and feeding off the impressions of the frat guys, but living on campus does not seem to interest me, and east campus from how it was explained, is for the nerds of the nerds, although I have as much interest in hacking as any of them. I'm not sure why, but random house, senior house, and east campus, hell anything not on west campus, seems to be for people that just don't want to kick back after finishing their work. I'm sure I'm wrong in large part, bexley weirded me out too, but oh well, off campus is the only way for me, all the dorms look like crap (except you and your big rooms simmons). Really though, it wouldn't kill MIT to improve the garbage amenities the place has so it might be comfortable to live there, but I guess you get more of that when you live in a frat, like a private chef, and big screeen tv's, and sundecks. If anyone else met me and I didn't realize I met you, post it up.

By Thehof (Thehof) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Sam Adams,
Which frat did you stay with? The Phi Delts' beatboxing party on saturday was awesome. The frats seemed so much nicer than the dorms, although I did like Next House. I thought Simmons was hideous (I hate modern architecture and especially crappy modern architecture at that). It also seemed like the hours of the dining halls on campus were very restrictive. Otherwise, I had a great time. I can't wait until September!

By Bmckn (Bmckn) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Who wouldn't want to kick back after finishing their work, Sam?

In my opinion, EC has better parties, more explosions and powertools, and a shorter walk to campus.

To each his own, though. If you're awesome, make sure to at least check out EC.

By Samueladams (Samueladams) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

I stayed with Delta Tau Delta, yeah that was a cool party, i was there for the beginning. i liked simmons purely for it's large rooms, large rooms that were also clean. Next house and baker were my next favorite, probably next a little more. I guess saving money and hooking up my room would also be a good way of enjoying the dorm experience a little more.

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Senior House - fun, familial, and feline!... but smoky.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

haha for all of you who are innocently thinking of Bexley, they're not very open to freshman joining- in fact it's virtually impossible unless you're an oblivious fool.
just have fun and read this.
they're still a cool place if you're into that...
but youll have to wait a few years

http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/org/i/i3/RESIDENCES/BEXLEY/INTRO/INDEX.HTML

By Sunflower189 (Sunflower189) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

CPW owned. Just sent in my acceptance forms...*large sigh of relief and/or cognitive dissonance*

I never made it to any of the frat parties, but I went to a bunch of classes and activities. The TEAL physics thing was cool, and the humanities classes were really small and personal. I ended up in the UROP lab tour with a guy I knew from IBO, and he was doing really nice stuff, even as a frosh. The crew team tried to recruit me, heh. And there's a dude in Russki Dom who's definitely getting stalked until he puts me on the new DARPA car team. =)

Don't know where I want to live though. I've narrowed my choices to three:
1) Random. Like the housing book says, they're *nice* weirdos - it's my kind of sketchy. However, it's far-ish from everything, corruptingly mathy, and I already know a lot of people there.
2) EC. It's right next to the bio lab, my new home away from home. And they blow things up. I would live there, but the whole inter-hall conflict thing makes me a bit nervous.
3) French House. Yes, it's west campus, but it's really diverse and cool, and I like the location. (That's the thing about west campus - you have the river and all your friends right there, but your Mystery Hunt team is going to get whupped. Sigh.)

By Iluvchocolate1 (Iluvchocolate1) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

Wow I can't wait for September now CPW was so much fun...the frat parties...tangerine tour...midnight sports...and all that other stuff too. Anyone else just crazy about the Z center, that was the most gorgeous gym ever. Anyways my favorite two dorms had to be Burton-Conner and Next House, both seemed really cool.

Oh btw, sunflower189, did you stay in french house because that's where I stayed. The people in it were all really great and they had great food...it's just a little too quiet for what I would have liked.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

Does it bother anyone that the dorms at MIT felt so disconnected? I'm not familiar with college campuses, but is it common to have an internal rivalry as such?

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

abyss, that poem was awesome! i see what you mean about the freshmen hating though, the last verse was kinda scary.

By Dree (Dree) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

bmckn, where in iowa are you from?
i'm from ames =)

By Dewgrl55 (Dewgrl55) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I loved CPW but I was just as surprised as Bmckn at the amount of people who went to frat parties. I went to one on Saturday because there was no way I was missing Tangerine Tour Friday night and, eh, I don't know. It felt like a high school party. I know it's because all the parties were dry, but I don't drink anyway. I was *very* impressed by the Tangerine Tour though - it rocked. The EECS open house was fun too.

I think my top choice is MacGregor. Although the rooms are all singles, there's a lot of interaction between hall residents. It's also nice to have some private space -- gives you a lot more flexibility in not having to worry about waking up your roommate all the time, which I definitely experienced with my host (I woke her up like 4 times between her naps and my coming back at around 3-ish every night). The convenience store is also very... convenient :)

By Bmckn (Bmckn) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Dree, I'm from a small town near Iowa City. I was wondering how many other Iowans got in. Have you heard/met any others?

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

wow sam, you really do belong in the delts.

and those of you that expressed concern in the rivalries between hall/dorms etc, i can tell you guys not to worry about it. it's true that east campus (not just the dorm, but the culture) is quite different from west campus, but it doesnt mean that the residents are at a standoff or something. there are certainly water balloon fights, im sports game etc that play along that rivalry. but in general, people from different dorms on different sides of campus do interact. you meet people in your class, your clubs, your UROP etc that come from all different dorms, and most of the time, everyone gets along well. most people are very open minded and accepting, and people do understand that most of the stereotypes arent really true. so dont let the rivalry thing bother you that much, i dont feel like it affects your ability to social and interact with people who are outside of your dorm.

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

did anyone stay in phi sig?

By Dree (Dree) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

bmckn, i'm actually a freshman now. i don't know about your class, but in mine i think tehre are 6 or 7 iowans, including one other guy from my hs.

By Goddess32585 (Goddess32585) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 02:47 am: Edit

shoutout to the iowa folks, it's nice to see some midwest representation...i'm from indiana and there's maybe 4 ppl in my class from there.
and i'd say that the rivalry you see between dorms is really just a reflection of the actual attachment people have to their living groups. i spent spring break in atlanta with my best friend at another school, and for her, dorms are a place to live for a year (they have all frosh on campus too) and then everyone just moves out. so there's no real community, no sense of "this is my home", nothing to attach to. telling her about my plans to paint my room, the crazy traditions the haus has, she was just astounded, she couldn't believe i actually *wanted* to stay on campus. this is common at pretty much every other school i've talked to students. anyone go to meat market? actually, i think that would've scared y'all a bit...suffice to say, that's dorm spirit.
for those who liked tangerine tours: hi, my name is jack ;) for those who didn't, go to orange tours. don't be lame and wait til you're a senior.
for sunflower189: you sound like my kind of girl :) go live at random, you'll be safe there, and i don't hang out at french house nearly as often as i should, considering how many of them i know. i did mystery hunt for random this year, it was glorious!
for mrowry: not all of senior haus is smoky, nor is it all feline (sadly) it is mostly all fun, however.
as for whether the guys or girls are hotter...
peace out, y'all.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page