Recommendation from alumni?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Recommendation from alumni?
By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I am attending the ROSS program this summer and I had been advised to get a recommendation letter along with my participation. Now here is my problem. I have to miss the first week of the camp due to exams back home and therefore, i will miss some of the lectures given by the prof from Harvard and MIT.

Does it help with admission to Harvard or MIT in anyway if I get one of my professors who graduated from and had taught at harvard and MIT before to write me a recommendation letter? Or is it the same weight if i get a letter of refernece from another professor who teaches at the camp but has not gone to Harvard or MIT?

Thx

By Coderdeity (Coderdeity) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Well, as a Ross alumni and an MIT admit, i would say that a letter of recomendation from Dr. Shapiro at Ohio State would be a very nice thing to have. Im sured it helped me in my admissions decision.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

hrm.. I am in the same situation.. but im attending a different math camp. Summer Institute for Math at UW. the problem is, my professors are only with me for two weeks then they switch every two weeks for 6 weeks. Do you think it would be helpful if my prof has only known me for two weeks and write me a rec? I am not sure if they stay with the rest of us while not teaching. Maybe they do. But does it have to be a MIT or Harvard grad in order to have a sig impact on admission? Will any other prof or program coordinator be ok?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

>"Will any other prof or program coordinator be ok?"

I think so. A letter from someone who knows you well is always preferable to one from a person does not know you well, but who happens to be an alum/prof/VIP/etc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page