Duke vs. Penn... Which school has better reputation?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Duke University: 2004 Archive: Duke vs. Penn... Which school has better reputation?
By Showwhite (Showwhite) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

I got acceptance from both schools(Engineering)
Which school has better program for CE or EE? Duke will offer me FA $35000. Penn will offer me FA $23000. I can't see any difference in two schools(reputations). Which one has better reputation anyway?

By Tellmewhy (Tellmewhy) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Hard to say the one is better than the other as far as reputation. Both schools are similar as a whole. You might want to look into which has the better Engineering (I think Duke?) and consider the financial aid. Remember both are pretty damn good.

By Drooz (Drooz) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

duke has a higher ranked undergrad engineering program, but not by much. go to pratt though, cause that's where i'm going :). also, they are opening a huge new engineering research center called CIEMAS that looks pretty sweet. Penn is a great school though, so go to whichever one feels better to you.

By Theegosings (Theegosings) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

what about in general? or for something more humanities related?

By Imperator (Imperator) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:03 am: Edit

go DUKE all the way, duke's more prestigious.

at least thats the way I see it.

EDIT: I almost chose duke, but then decided Stanford was better ;)

By Willywang (Willywang) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

UPENN HAS A HORRIBLE ENGINEERING PROGRAM, my cousin goes there for the Wharton school's Huntsman program, and according to him, not alot of people know that Penn's engineering program blows!!!!

By Michellet (Michellet) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:00 am: Edit

My fried goes to the engeneering school at Penn and he hates it. Apparently the work load plus the environment and the people makes him hate it that much....

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

Duke has better feng shui, go there!

By Dreadpirate (Dreadpirate) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Penn has no loblolly pines, no 8000 acre forest, no magnolias, no Carolina barbecue, and no hush puppies. Duke's engineering program is very good and rising, though probably a bit more competitive than Penn's.

By Showwhite (Showwhite) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Thank you for these messages. After negotiation, Penn decided to match FA Grant to Duke's. Easy negotiation makes my choice more obvious.. I am going DUKE!!

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

wait i don't get it, penn gave you more money, so you're going to duke?
but all the same, good for you! i'll see you in durham!

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

NICE
Keep in touch

By Starlighter (Starlighter) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

ah! I'm vacillating between penn and duke. I don't care so much for prestige. I do need some advice though. I have to decide soon, within the next two days. thanks! interested in biology, history, and languages. the financial aid packages for both schools are the same.

worries: wharton at penn overshadows the college (accepted to the college)? is penn's undergrad population too large? penn has the interdisciplinary dual-degrees but I don't know anything about seminars or classes that cross academic fields (at least not much in the course book).

duke doesn't have the city life i want, but it does offer more flexible core requirements. weather is nice too (i live in upstate ny). i don't like having to take buses to classes at duke (split campus). duke is also much more interdisciplinary with small seminars and smaller population size. any advice? please help!

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Duke has an awesome medical facility nearby.
Since bio is on your list, that would be a huge plus for job/learning opps.

By Fuzzzylogicc (Fuzzzylogicc) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Durham isn't Philly, but I think Duke has the better campus life and that's where you'll spend most of your time.

And I don't know how strongly you feel about the bus thing, but it's not a big deal (and/or you're quickly use to it). I actually like the getaway from East to West (and vice versa) and the Duke Forest all around and between.

Anyway, good luck on your decision.

By Starlighter (Starlighter) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice. I've just decided. Penn it is! Night.

By Johnmayerfan (Johnmayerfan) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

which is better: Penn the college for biology/premed or Duke BME? Penn gave me slightly better finaid but I think duke'll match it. I'm looking for good premed research opps which i'd find in philly, but I think the research tri would do well for me at duke too...

By Starlighter (Starlighter) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

i heard from current students at duke that not too many people do research in the research triangle area. it's usually done on duke's campus. but i must say, biology/bme is better at duke than at penn based on my research. i like three very different fields and believe penn is better overall. good luck.

By Stanfordnualum (Stanfordnualum) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:10 am: Edit

Hey Showwhite:

Seems like everyone out here says Duke got "excellent" engineering program. They got great BME program but to me, that's the only top one out of only 4 (hence a pretty small program) they got. US News ranks their overall grad program outside top 30. I don't remember where UPenn stands however. I think neither are great for CE/EE. You don't have other choices? like Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Berkeley, Stanford, Illionis-UrbanaChampaign...etc?

By Showwhite (Showwhite) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Yes, you are right. Duke was ranked only 18th place in Undergrad CE. Penn was not even in top 20. I got acceptance from Carnegie mellon CIT(not by SCS or ECE). They said it's almost impossible to transfer to SCS or ECE in CMU, and their FA offer is only Grant $12000. I need to pay extra $30000. Do you think it is worth to attend CMU paying extra $24000(Duke and Penn's $35000 - CMU's $12000)? Schools like Virginia Tech(Virginia Enineering Pride!!) was ranked in 18th place in undergrad CE too. I am sure that Duke's engineering is great although not as strong as CMU, Cornell or MIT. I am planning to attend MIT graduate school(even if it's extremely tough). Duke has higher graduate school placement rate(38% to Penn's 23%). Personally, I didn't like Philly too. Anyway thank you for your advice.

By Macsuile (Macsuile) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

Duke is incredibly over-rated and its prestige is mostly derived from its athletic program. Schools like Rice, Virginia and William & Mary are much better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page