Do anything if waitlisted?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Do anything if waitlisted?
By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Is there anything waitlisted students can do?

Is it pure fortune when it comes to this matter, or can one improve his chances in some way??

Argh... it's like getting deferred all over again.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

i got waitlisted. argh just reject me already!

im indifferent. i got into my first choice (Cornell) through a likely letter, so i just sort of laughed.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

i got waitlisted. argh just reject me already!

im indifferent. i got into my first choice (Cornell) through a likely letter, so i just sort of laughed. i dont think i'll even take a spot.

By Seraphim2 (Seraphim2) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

what's the waitlisted letter like?

i know that you should just bug the heck out of them, call every day, tell them your new accomplishments, etc.

however, i heard they didnt accept ANYONE off the waitlist last year. but they did accept less people this year overall. good luck man. sorry about the prolonged torture.

By Mulan (Mulan) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

i'm ok with the waitlist
i got into my 1st choice EA so ... it's their loss!

you guys think you'll stay on it?

By Bobthebuilder (Bobthebuilder) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

If I get waitlisted, I'm going to write a letter to Marilee Jones saying that she is an insensitive ***** for first deferring me and then waitlisting me, and that I would like a signed rejection right bloody now. If she's not going to accept me, then a rejection is politeness.

If I get rejected, I'll sit down and cry.

If I get accepted, I'll sit down and cry.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

yeah im okay with waitlist.

the letter was pretty nice.

it ended with: Whatever your choice, and whatever the final outcome, we think you are terrific and we offer you our best wishes for the future.

that made me smile.

good luck for those staying on the waitlist. after more consideration, im THINKING about staying on, but not sure. we'll see in APril :)

By Seraphim2 (Seraphim2) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

lol, after giving you advice about the waitlist... IVE BEEN WAITLISTED! geez...

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Oh well.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

does anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist? im just curious.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

me too...

By Andy7733 (Andy7733) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

2 in south nj that i know of (including me)

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

1,664 admitted, 597 waitlisted, rest... rejected (stolen from PR forums, thanks to whoever made the phone call)

Using MIT's recent yield (59%, which should fall this year,) that leaves 982 matriculants, for a class averaging (again, recently) 1024. This makes for 42 admits from the Waitlist. 42 / 597 = 8%, not bad... only half of 16% for normal applicants... still better than being rejected.

By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Splendid math, Evil.

By Chuchutrayne (Chuchutrayne) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

waking at daybreak, I jumped out of bed, hastily brushed my teeth and ran outside. No mail. 6:48 am -- i checked 43 times and STILL no mail. what's up with the postal service? no wonder al gore invented email. 7:30 -- contemplate what ill do if i'm: accepted-- give the mailman a smooch then go streaking in my local senior citizen center. rejected-- curse the mailman, curse god,burn religious books, then do physical harm to myself. when the schoolbus came, I pretended not to feel well, periodically stepping outside even though the mail never comes before 12. The tension increased at 11, and the trips to the mailbox became more frequent. at 12:30 i lost it, and ran around my neighborhood searching madly for that white truck. finally at 1:04 i spotted him walking down my block. i kept my cool until he was in front of my house at which point i ran to him and took my mail.

the envelope was small. ouch. but wait; i felt a slight tension as i tried to bend it. I quickly opened it, and read the letter. waitlisted.

The letter was actually very sensitive (considering MIT was my lifelong dream), but it basically said: U've waited long enough, now wait another 3 months. No promises.

Bottom line: im fine with being on a waitlist, but i hope we are not being given false hope. I hope the lot of us who really really really want to goto MIT will be offered a sizeable number of slots when the time comes.

By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

Nice story, Chuchutrayne.

When I got home I walked slowly into my room, smiling, knowing that whatever mail sent me would be waiting on my computer desk--the MIT letter included.

Obviously, the second I saw its puny size the smile transformed into an annoyed frown, but I read it and felt surprisingly happy in the end since there was still a chance.

I'm just gonna send them my waitlist card tomorrow and hope they notice how quickly my response was.

Perhaps I'll also send them a couple of daisies, to emphasize that MIT is my first choice.

By Upandover (Upandover) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:01 am: Edit

Hei,sunshine! So sorry to hear you were waitlisted . Remember Pton? Anyway.. I think I will be waitlisted too, since my mail hasn't arrived yet..

I FEEL SO SORRY FOR YOU GUYS!

By Chuchutrayne (Chuchutrayne) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

the bottom line is--

they only accepted 16%.

we were the next 6%. i consider that an honor.

if we really want to go and work really hard for it, there's still a chance.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page