Monday Mail Thread

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Monday Mail Thread
By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

When you get your mail today, please post the following:

If you received a decision letter,

If you are the first person to post about your type of letter (acceptance, rejection, waitlist),

Good luck!

By Quain (Quain) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Very good Arthurdent. Please post in this thread you guys when you get your decision. Let's try to consolidate all our results in one place.

By Knightmare (Knightmare) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

*Laughs out loud*

You guys need to take this less seriously. Me personally, I am going to accept my rejection letter (which should arrive very soon) quietly in peace.

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

^^^

you sound like you're talking about death.

By The_One (The_One) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

If you are rejected , post if can not log in to the financial aid tracking website

By Cnn (Cnn) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Feel The Pain,
To have some hope for the Gain."

By Cnn (Cnn) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Feel The Pain,
To have some hope for the Gain."

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

Damn I live in San Francisco. Do you think the letter will arrive today let alone this week?

By Midwestguy (Midwestguy) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

Don't expect it yet. My letter didn't even make it to Minnesota today.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

By the way, I tried to log in before the site was disabled and couldn't get through. I have a feeling it's a rejection because why else would they disable the site if it doesn't mean anything?

By Matthias (Matthias) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

I live in PA...

*curls up into a fetal position by the mail slot and shivers*

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

I got letter in a DHL pack like an hour ago. I was accepted!
I didn;t try to log into the online decisions site.

Here's the text of the letter:

We expect that you'll have offers from many fine schools, but we hope that you'll choose to enroll at MIT. Between now and May 1, when you need to respond to our offer (the reply form is enclosed in this packet), we look forward to building our relationship and encourage you to get to know us better. We'll be in tough by email, over the phone and through our website designed just for the Class of 2008: http://web.mit.edu/admissions/inside/

Many of our students believe that the campus visit experience was the deciding factor to enroll at MIT. Therefore you are invited to be our guest for Campus Preview Weekend (CPW), held on the MIT campus from April 15 through 18, 2004. CPW is an excellent way to experience MIT student life firsthand. You will go to classes, eat the food, listen to hallway conversations and meet your future classmates. We encourage your parents to attend as well. See the enclosed CPW invitation for all the details.

If you can't come to CPW, try to come to campus before May 1. To make arrangements to stay overnight with an undergraduate host, complete the online request form on the website or just call the Office of Admissions at (617) 258-5515. If you are unable to visit the campus at all but are eager to get to know MIT, you'll have the chance to speak with a current undergraduate soon; an MIT student will be calling you in April.

I hope this letter is the one you were expecting and that it brings you the exhilaration you deserve to feel. I also hope that you will take the night off to celebrate with your loved ones. But as a mother, I expect you to get right back to work and finish up the year with top grades, since we don't admit slackers to MIT and this offer of admissions is contingent upon your successful completion of the school year.

Finally, I hope you'll agree with us that MIT is the perfect place to prepare you for your future role in a world that badly needs you.

Congratulations and welcome to the MIT Class of 2008! I look forward to seeing you on campus.

Sincerely,

Marilee Jones
Dean of Admisions

I hope this helps. Good luck to you guys with your admission decisions.

By Matthias (Matthias) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Pennsylvania
Yes, I received a letter
rejected
small
never tried to log in

By Cnn (Cnn) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

omg mathias in pennslyvannia!.. ahh man sry for you.
Ok so that means i am rejected too, its a matter of time i get out of school and check the mail...
aarrgh.
BTW i live in PA.

By Matthias (Matthias) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Dear XXXX,

The Admissions Committee has completed its review of our applications, and I am so sorry to tell you that we are unable to offer you admission to MIT.

Please understand that this is in no way a judgment of you as a student or as a person, since our decision has more to do with the applicant pool than anything else. Most of our applicants, who like you are among the best in the world, are not admitted because we simply do not have enough space in our entering class. This year we had nearly 11,000 candidates for just 1,650 offers of admision from which will come our 1,020 freshmen. Since all of our decisions are made at one time and all available spaces have been committed, all decisions are final.

Despite what you might think, the admissions process is not an exact science. Our applicant pool is more self-selected than most, with a very high percentage of top students, virtually all of whom have distinction in demanding academic programs as well as outstanding achievement in their lives outside of the classroom. We evaluate each applicant's materials carefully and select those we judge to be the best match for our community.

I am very sorry to bring you such dissapointing news when you have worked so hard. You are a terrific student, and I do wish you the very best as you continue with your education.

Sincerely,

Marilee Jones
Dean of Admissions

By Girlnotgrey (Girlnotgrey) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Northeast TN here, and no MIT letter yet...I did get a likely letter from Cornell, though...small consolation.

TN is NOT that far away from Boston! Come on, people! *cries*

By Angrod (Angrod) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Really sorry Matthias! Sounds like we are going to be going to Rice! (I don't think I have a chance in a million, I mean, I already got deffered). You coming to Owl Weekend?

Waiting for mail in Lousiana...

By Amilee04 (Amilee04) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Did the acceptance letter really say slackers?

Waiting for mail in WI. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

By Smattacus (Smattacus) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Has anyone in Texas received a letter yet?

Anxious in H-town...

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

was the DHL pack DHL ground, 1day, or 2day?

By Creon (Creon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Admitted from California!

Acceptance letter. Big package with "MIT" in gold on the front.

I'm so happy I'm beside myself.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

FL, rejected, standard sized envelope, wasn't able to login. Sigh.. no longer a reason to frequent these boards. Cya all.

By The_One (The_One) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I GOT IN!
I can't believe it !

By Jswrtzlndr (Jswrtzlndr) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

re: "Did the acceptance letter really say slackers?"

Did it also really say "We'll be in tough by email, . . ." ?

By Matthias (Matthias) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Angrod, yeah I'll probably be going to Owl Weekend, I'm still waiting on 9 more schools though, so I'm not sure if I'm going to Rice. With my parent's contribution and Rice grants I'll be able to go to Rice for practically free, so whatever happens from here on out, I'll still be sitting pretty.

By Dewgrl55 (Dewgrl55) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Yeah the Early Admit acceptance letters told us not to be slackers too.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I was not offered admission. I live in FL. I couldn't login to that site.

By Synikaux (Synikaux) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

(&^(!&(*&@*()*()*)(!@$)*(&$)(! YES!!!! SO EXCITED!!! JUST GOT IT LIKE 10 MINUTES AGO!!!

BIG ENVELOPE!! YAY!!
I live like 2 miies away, never tried logging on. Only thing that scares me is the 5,500 self-help offer, and since I'll probably be doing crew, I dunno how I am gonna find time for work too :(. But I'll figure. YES!!! KJET#_#(*%)(&*)@!&#)!(#*!)(

:) :) :) :) :) :)

For those accepted, congrats, for those who were not, hang in there for April. I thought it was the end of the world for me when I got deferred from my EA school, but I've only heard good news since.

By The_One (The_One) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

I forgot to mention , I got $39,600 aid !!!!

By Glockenspeil (Glockenspeil) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Acepted
could log on

By Callofthewind (Callofthewind) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I GOT REJECTED!!! SOOOOOO HAPPY!!! YAY!!!

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

wow, so many people have been accepted so far. has anyone been waitlisted? if so, what's the envelope like? and a huge gigantic incredibly-large congrats to all who got in!

By Ncssm04 (Ncssm04) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

North Carolina
Wait Listed
Thin, windowed, #10 business envelope

Dear XXXX,

The Admissions Committee has finished the selection process for this year. While we are unable to offer you admission at this time, we have placed you on our Waiting List. As you probably know, this is the list of candidates to whom we will offer admission if we have space.

We admitted just 16% of the strongest applicant pool in our history. Not all of those admitted will choose to enroll, so it is possible that we will be able to admit some candidates from our Waiting List. Over the years we have taken anywhere from one to 150 from the list. But I urge you to pursue other alternatives, because there is no guarantee we will go to our Waiting List this year.

Please complete and return the enclosed card by April 23 to indicate whether or not you wish to stay on the Waiting List. If space becomes available, the Admissions Committee will reconvene to make its final selections, since the list is not currently ranked. If you choose to stay on the Waiting List, we will let you know how things look by late May.

Whatever your choice, and whatever the final outcome, we think you are terrific and we offer you our best wishes for the future.

Sincerely,

Marilee Jones
Dean of Admissions

By Quain (Quain) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Accepted!!

Wow, this is great!

Yes, I was able to log on.

By Callofthewind (Callofthewind) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Congratz to everyone who got accepted!! super!! to everyone who got rejected don't feel sad, keep ur head high b/c as long as you are a good person, nothing else really matters!

By Openthought (Openthought) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Virginia,
I don't think anyone from my high school has been accepted since '88.

Accepted! I was deferred EA. Imagine that.

See you guys at CPW!

By Ivyecon (Ivyecon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Anybody from Colorado hear anything yet?

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

openthought- what did you do to reverse your deferral?

By Hankinator3000 (Hankinator3000) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

accepted
MN
big package

By Roxysurfet (Roxysurfet) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Waitlisted
Sarasota, FL
small envelope

By Killersnowgoon (Killersnowgoon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Rejected
RI

Got accepted to Rensselaer though

By Elfie15 (Elfie15) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

REJECTED!
maryland
couldn't login to that site so I was already mentally prepared for the rejection so it doesn't seem so harsh

waiting for 10 more colleges now! in at umcp - honors/gemstone and cornell engineering (likely letter)

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

waitlisted.
Northeast OH
small envelope.

im feeling okay. likely letter from Cornell, which is my top choice came on Saturday :)

i stopped caring about my MIT decision then and there! have fun at MIT guys!

By Ivyecon (Ivyecon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Rejected Denver, CO

By Cnn (Cnn) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

REJECTED!!
well i knew i wouldnt get in ( a 500 writing score) duh just wanted to give it a try.But anyways congrats to all those accepted.

By Hooah (Hooah) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Accepted, Bay Area California! Big envelope

By Andy7733 (Andy7733) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

the rarest breed of all

waitlisted

By Musicshark32 (Musicshark32) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

I'm from maryland and I got in. Large envelope that said MIT in big letters. I was able to log in.

By Citrus (Citrus) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Rejected in Rhode Island.

Hey Killersnow, I applied to RPI too. When did you get your letter from them?

I'm pretty sure I'll get into RPI, and I got the Rensselaer medal from my school.

By Citrus (Citrus) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Rejected in Rhode Island.

Hey Killersnow, I applied to RPI too. When did you get your letter from them?

I'm pretty sure I'll get into RPI, and I got the Rensselaer medal from my school.

By Tatyana (Tatyana) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

i got rejected

yet i could login...

follows my dad's theory that they allow all the girls log in so they can spice up the MIT party :-D

By Tatyana (Tatyana) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

i got rejected

yet i could login...

follows my dad's theory that they allow all the girls log in so they can spice up the MIT party :-D

caltech baby

By Stevennle (Stevennle) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

got in, california

i'm so excited i'm going to tell everyone

oh, and the myth that big envelopes travel slower was a lie. WEST COAST BABY!

By Killersnowgoon (Killersnowgoon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Did anyone from RI get in??

I got the medal too. I just got the acceptance today. I saw a big envelope that was upside down, so I thought it was from MIT. Alas, it was from RPI - not quite as good, but still something. I just dont like its location.

Don't worry Citrus, if you got the medal you have a 99.9% chance of getting in.

By Mulan (Mulan) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

wait listed!

tis ok, wasn't my 1st choice anyway

ca, small envelope

By Angrod (Angrod) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

ACCEPTED!
Shreveport, LA
Big envelope

So listen to this. I could see the mailman walking towards the house from a long way away. He was sorting our mail, and as he got closer, I could tell there was nothing big in his hand. I started trying to cheer myself up, "You are already in at Rice. No big deal. etc." I get to the front door, and as he pushed everything threw the mail slot, sure enough, nothing big. I started pawing through it looking for the rejection letter. The mailman starts walking away, and then stops, does a 180, and pulls out the big MIT envelope! I couldn't believe my eyes! I was deffered EA, and I thought there was no chance of me getting in after that. WOW! Congrats to those accepted, and good luck to those rejected. Don't worry, your future depends much more on what kind of person you are than what college you graduated from.

By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Killersnowgoon, I got into RPI EA and deferred from MIT EA.

And I just got waitlisted for MIT.

Poor little RI...

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

You guys, what was the letter sent through? Was it just a regular envelope with MIT on it, or was it sent via USPS or DHL?

By Midwestguy (Midwestguy) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

My letter (sent to school) didn't come today, yet the other two kids at school got their letters (rejections). What does this mean? Why didn't mine come at the same time?

By Itsallcool (Itsallcool) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

oh yah Got in
could log in the site
i guess my numbers will be different from everyone, got in early Stanford too...
SAT I: 1360 (780 M)
SAT II: IIC 790, Ph 720, US His. 760
TOEFL: 280
Not international

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Uh, crap. So far it looks like the login test was fairly accurate.

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

no worries webhappy, aren't you in at caltech?

By Exit_Now (Exit_Now) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Rejected.
Didn't try logging in.

Well, there goes that. Looks like I hear from CMU next...

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

In.

Washington state (yay USPS)

big fat folder with several compartments and about twelve different documents saying something along the lines of congratulations

Didn't try logging in.

By Runningwolf (Runningwolf) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

I was accepted. I am thrilled. I was deferred EA from Harvard but since then I've gotten in Williams, Amherst (both "early letters") and now MIT! :)

I am so sorry to those who didn't get in. MIT has not always been my dream school. I fell in love with Harvard when I visited last summer, and applied EA, and was deferred... still no idea if I'll get in. But I was crushed. Anyway, I think things will end up working out for all of you. Just stick with it, and I'm sure you'll get in someplace great. The pain of EA deferral is gone now, and I'm sure you guys will all get in somewhere and the same thing will happen.

Stats:
1550 (770v/780m), 800IIC, 790 chem, 800 writing, 2/272 class rank, will have taken 8 APs after graduation, so far 5's on all 3, but the kicker... recruited athlete.

By Knightmare (Knightmare) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Killersnowgoon and Citrus, I'm from RI too. What schools you guys from?

*Still waiting to hear from MIT*

By Sunflower189 (Sunflower189) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Accepted!

Fairfax, VA
Didn't try logging in.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

cuspidor, what bout princeton ED?

--fellow peruvian

By Synikaux (Synikaux) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

HEYYY!!!! Runningwolf!! remember me? I was the rower who applied Harvard EA, I got deferred too :). But I guess we're both in MIT!!! HOPE YOU GO AND TRY OUT ROWInG! I was sort of a recruit :).

By Blah1111 (Blah1111) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Memememe, did you get your decision yet?

By Mult1taskr (Mult1taskr) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

rejected.

so i'm off to the caltech/CMU/virginia boards.

see ya.

By Pheebz613 (Pheebz613) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

waitlisted
nj
MIT wasnt my top choice, so im fine w it. as everyone's been saying, its good i had the likely letter from cornell on sat, that helped cushion the blow.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Me^4 is in....we don't need to ask. As for sunflower well a siler medal in Bio olympiad isn't a thing to walk past by. Just read ur stats on the prstats database. Awesome....as for me^4 I dont need to ask congrats!

By Midwestguy (Midwestguy) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I'm anxious to hear from mememememe... Where are you?

By Blah1111 (Blah1111) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

So I guess since people in CA are already receiving acceptances, I can expect to be denied, lol.

By Lessthan3 (Lessthan3) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

eek! i just got in, from new jersey! =)

By Tbone (Tbone) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

finally got it at 6:00 in chicago

By Runningwolf (Runningwolf) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I do remember you, Synikaux. That's great to hear, it feels good huh? :) Harvard can take their deferral letter and... eh nevermind, I still kind of want to get in! Are you definitely going to MIT? I'm not sure where I'll end up, but MIT is definitely up there in my list of choices. By the way, I decided I want to run in college and so I was recruited for that and I think that helped me out. Also what helped is that I thing MIT goes more by test scores, grades, etc. and doesn't leave so much room for legacies, "special groups," etc. when compared to the Ivies, so I was hoping I'd have a better chance at MIT. Looks like I was right. Anyway congrats again, to you and to EVERYONE! Sorry again to the rejected people, but it will definitely work out in the end. If you even applied I don't think you'll have any problem succeeding in college wherever you go.

By Vladimirlem (Vladimirlem) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Waitlisted.

By Runningwolf (Runningwolf) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

I do remember you, Synikaux. That's great to hear, it feels good huh? :) Harvard can take their deferral letter and... eh nevermind, I still kind of want to get in! Are you definitely going to MIT? I'm not sure where I'll end up, but MIT is definitely up there in my list of choices. By the way, I decided I want to run in college and so I was recruited for that and I think that helped me out. Also what helped is that I thing MIT goes more by test scores, grades, etc. and doesn't leave so much room for legacies, "special groups," etc. when compared to the Ivies, so I was hoping I'd have a better chance at MIT. Looks like I was right. Anyway congrats again, to you and to EVERYONE! Sorry again to the rejected people, but it will definitely work out in the end. If you even applied I don't think you'll have any problem succeeding in college wherever you go.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Rejected in Bay Area, CA.

Time to wait for Harvard now... this is good news I guess. Statiscally speaking, I expect to get 2-3 acceptances and at least my "quota" is fairly open now.

I was not able to log-in.

LOL, kudos to whoever discovered that site. MIT definitely realized what was going on and pulled the site because it seems to be 95% accurate (just 1 exception for some girl who got rejected even though she could log in).

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

rejected from Canada

By Jph1202 (Jph1202) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Accepted in NJ

By Jph1202 (Jph1202) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Accepted in NJ

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Gabypa, I was deferred Princeton ED, I'm still waiting for their regular decision... but I'm excited!

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

ACCEPTED!!!

Eads, TN
1490 SAT
800 Writing
750 IIC
650 Chem <---I was worried about that one

Big packet everyone has been talking about. Go to the webcam page to see what it looks like. Inside was a red folder.

I was able to log in before it was disabled...actually the disabling freaked me out.

I was deferred under EA, but don't worry...that was corrected pretty quickly :D I bombarded them with two more essays (one about why I wanted to go to MIT), another recommendation, and a letter that basically said (more eloquently of course) THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DEFERRING ME...PLEEEEEEEASE ACCEPT ME OR I'M GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK.

My advice to those reading this and wondering how to boost your chances once you were deferred... make sure you don't back down if MIT is your top school. Let them know!

By Student04 (Student04) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

New York
Accepted ^_______^
Big white envelope with "MIT" in big orange letters
The login page was gone before I tried

By Killersnowgoon (Killersnowgoon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Knightmare - I'm from Cranston West

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Oh my goodness. Yesterday I was so positive that I didn't get accepted. I was absolutely sure. Wholly. This is just to show that anyone can do it!! MIT is not for aliens! It's for people like me too! I can't believe it.

But before I go on, let me just call out to my fellow rejectees and waitlists- you are all incredible! if you for a minute put yourself down because of the results of this extermely subjective and fickle honor you're creating unnesessary harm.

i wish the best for all and even though im not sure i'll attend, i'd love to hear from the others who were accepted so email me :)

by the way, brief stats - live in NJ, 1450 SAT and 5 SATIIs in 760-800 range. and urr 7 total APs with only 2 jr year and 3 B+s this year... but also really interesting ECs, but certainly certainly not enough to guarantee anything.

By Samueladams (Samueladams) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Yea! I just got in. I thought it was gonna be a rejection, since my Stanford acceptance was brought to my door, and this one was left in the mailbox. I was real happy since people told me I wasn't going to get in, since our genius a few years back didn't, and now I actually have a choice and can play the money game. I haven't done much research into MIT though, I guess I wasn't planning on getting in, or maybe not that set on going, so now I get to give it a better look...sweet

By Lessthan3 (Lessthan3) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

abyss and jph where from NJ are you guys?

By 123456789abcdef (123456789abcdef) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

I'm from NJ too! Where in NJ are my fellow MIT '08 Jersians?

By Touky (Touky) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Emperor...told ya your egotistical annoying ways would bite you in the ass.

By Tout (Tout) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

And what kind of retarded comment is that, Touky? He can have an ego because he is an outstanding student who has many prestigious accomplishments. As for his rejection - it's unbelievable how many very, very qualified people MIT didn't admit this year. Emperor is one of them.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

im from east brunswick.

just in case we might meet, will any of you be at the MIT meeting for acceptees next Wed. in Princeton?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Not that I'm purposefully trying to be overly cynical, I believe MIT made some VERY poor decisions this year, sacrificing talent for diversity. Emperor is an example of just one person who got screwed out of acceptance; I'll keep myself out of it because I can see why I could have been rejected. Three kids from my school got admitted, and well, let's just say they aren't what constitutes things MIT usually looks for, like any interest whatsoever in math/science.

By Girlnotgrey (Girlnotgrey) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Accepted in Tennessee!
Only a day late...haha...yeah.

Now to procure $170,000...ack.

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

I still haven't received anything, and the mail just arrived today. Oh well...probably means I'm rejected...sigh

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

in! (peruvian living in brazil)

cuspidor, my letter had one extra pa. tho, did u just omit the 1st pa. when u typed the text of the letter before?

By Calimacala (Calimacala) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Vsage3, you're not overly cynical. Just look at the posts by Enemy of MIT on this messageboard and that makes your comments utterly mild in comparison.

I got my letter today, and I'm in the same boat as you. It's actually very annoying because I've always been into math and science. I'm the only person to have applied from my school so I can't make any comparisons though.

Anyways, I'm off this board. Nice knowing y'all! Where else are you applying, Vsage3? Perhaps we'll meet on other boards or at the same college next year!

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Gaby,
yeah I deleted the first paragraph by accident, i realized when i'd already posted it. Congrats and you acceptance to MIT! You got into Harvard EA as well right?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I have a theory of the best way to get into MIT (for an average student; if you're clearly outstanding, eg. Intel STS, Olympiad,etc. don't worry about this):

-Go heavy on the non-math/science EC's
-Participate in a couple math contests
-Emphasize in your essays how much you love math/science, creativity/engineering (it doesn't matter if you don't care crap about these; just BS it as it's obvious what MIT is looking for)

Now, with MIT prizing diversity above academics, you have a better chance of getting in than the student with 1590,800,800,790,4.0,5 5's.

I'm still of two minds about this situation. I'm a bit disappointed that I was rejected, but seeing that the incoming class is not what I expected when I first dreamed of attending MIT 4 years ago, I don't really feel I'm missing that much from MIT anymore.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

I still laugh at the argument that people are against a school filled with super-smart people in the stereotypical "nerdy" way... if you want diversity, why the heck don't you apply to Stanford, Harvard, or Yale? They also have fairly strong engineering programs and you get your diversity...

It honestly makes no sense to me why MIT wants to become another HYPS.

By Cnn (Cnn) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

grr i will someday show MIT that they made a big mistake.....
someday....maybe next life ........the next^n but someday.................the limit wouldnt be infinity it would approach a limit....
arrgh i totally lost it *laughes madly and cries sadly*...the end is not near but it has already seared me...

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

touky: sorry for being a jerk?
tout and Vsage, thx for the support, but i know i didnt deserve it anyhow

By Ptarlye (Ptarlye) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

test post -

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page