Any of you watch the show "Las Vegas"?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Any of you watch the show "Las Vegas"?
By Tbone (Tbone) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

They had this one episode back in late December where these MIT kids went to the hotel. They had all these high tech computers and the hotel security thought they were going to mess up the odds on the machines to get more money. But they were there because they lost to Caltech in some engineering competition the week before and they made all the signs and laser light shows in Las Vegas say, "Caltech Sucks, MIT Rules."

Just thought that was interesting back when I saw it

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Hmmm sounds interesting.

Have you read the book "Bringing Down the House"?

It's about the MIT blackjack team and, I must say, is quite awesome.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Hey, did MIT participate in the DARPA autonomous desert vehicle grand challenge?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

I don't think they did.. I know CMU and Caltech did though. I base my reasoning off of the fact that CNN did not mention their name once (and you know they probably would if MIT had entered)

By Scifizach (Scifizach) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

On the DARPA website MIT was not listed under the teams. This actually suprised me based on the fact that they have an AI lab, etc. I guess the 1 million dollar prize is chump change for MIT though.

http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/teams.htm

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

It's possible MIT did have a team. Late last year, DARPA arbitrarily eliminated most of the teams, as there were too many entries. I can't find a list of the eliminated teams, however.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page