MIT What's that?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: MIT What's that?
By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Do people in yall's areas know what MIT is? I keep getting asked oh so where are you applying? I say MIT...and I get one of two responses:

a) I went to a community college too!
b) Never heard of it. Mississippi Institute for Truckers?

No joke. I also live in a rural, cow-covered area in Tennessee...

Good luck to everyone :D

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

I myself didn't know what MIT was until freshman year, but a lot of the people in my area have a mental age that was below mine freshman year (laughs). Seriously speaking though, neither my coworkers nor my boss know about it, either. I'd say only the people who have had friends or relatives go there actually know about it. It's not caltech unknown, but it's surprisingly little thought about by most people, even though they've done so much.

By Over30 (Over30) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Someone we know thought it was MIddle Tennessee.

By Stupidfool (Stupidfool) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Here in Massachusetts, most people I know have heard of MIT.

By Seraphim2 (Seraphim2) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

the archetypical nerd guy in all those apocalypse movies that uses guerilla computer skills to support the main hero is always either: a double major from MIT or an MIT dropout. thats where i first heard of it. most people i talk to know plenty about it.

i also joined mensa after seeing the simpsons episode where lisa joins.

proud to be an american.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

I actually heard about it from my Princeton Review college book that I flipped through five times marking stuff up.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Maybe you guys can add to my count, but...

MIT:
"Good Will Hunting," and "The Recruit" are both movies which were filmed in part at MIT and have the main character from MIT.
"Runaway Jury" had the bad guy's techie as an MIT student.

Caltech:
Definitely behind MIT as far as general public recognition, but I think "Real Genius" and "Ocean's Eleven" (with Brad Pitt and George Clooney) have Caltech integrated in part of the movie.

Although my town isn't large, many people have heard of MIT or Caltech, or both. A lot of people swear their allegiance to UVA and Virginia Tech (In programming competitions Virginia Tech usually finishes right above or below Caltech/MIT).

By Buffalo (Buffalo) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Definitely got asked "Is that like ITT Tech?" I was in a bad mood and I said "Yes, it has "Tech*" in the name but they don't have T.V. commercials." A smarter friend of mine knew and thought it was hilarious at the time. Its one of those had-to-be-there moments.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Um, that was mean.

By Amilee04 (Amilee04) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Most people ask me where MIT is, so they obviously have never heard of it since the location is worked into the name.

By Mulan (Mulan) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

my friend thought it was in michigan.

that is, the michigan institute of technology.

same friend who thought caltech referred to either california polyTECHnic (slo) or ITT tech

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Haha... wow. MIT isn't very friendly to film crews. There was approximately 1.2 shots of MIT in Good Will Hunting. All the indoor shots were in some high school and random places. (This is why there are lockers (!!!) in the halls in the blackboard shots)

By Gbt (Gbt) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:54 am: Edit

MIT also appeared in "A Beautiful Mind" (with Princeton and Harvard), but no images were shot at MIT. Plus, the lab where Nash is supposed to work never existed.

Also, I believe CBS is preparing a show about an MIT mathematician, called "Numbers".

Elsewhere, Lionel Hutz, the lawyer from the Simpsons claims to have studied at MIT, among other schools. And in another Simpsons episode some nerds are arguing with MIT students about Star Trek, over the Internet.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:18 am: Edit

Rent also has a character who dropped out of MIT. Rather, he claims "they expelled me for my theory of actual reality."

In a related story, Rent is the best musical on earth.

By Itsallcool (Itsallcool) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

The “smartest man on the planet” on Armageddon was also a graduate of MIT.
One of the coolest scenes on the movie, while he was confronting the general, super coooooool

By Ghhizzmo (Ghhizzmo) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

Gbt...A little trivia for you!
The scene you are referring to in "A Beautiful Mind" was actually filmed at the old NYU Uptown campus in Bronx, NY. NYU used to have two campuses..."Downtown" and "Uptown" called "University Heights". They (sadly) sold the Uptown campus in 1973 to Bronx Community College where the "MIT" location shot was filmed.

By Dewgrl55 (Dewgrl55) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Down here in Miami I've encountered a lot of people that don't know what MIT is.

It's so frustrating. Our paper, The Miami Herald, always highlights a recent immigrant from Cuba or some other "diamond in the rough" who got into Harvard, but never spotlights anyone from MIT -- or Princeton, Yale, etc.

By Nihilist (Nihilist) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

My mother thought MIT stood for Mathematics Institute of Technology :\

By Escabatum_Rip (Escabatum_Rip) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

I've known about MIT since I was in fourth grade...and I remember in Contact the lady had gone to MIT.

By Wyoskiguy (Wyoskiguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I'll have to say that I'm in the same boat. I'm going to Dartmouth next year, and whenever someone asks me where I'm going and I tell them- they say "Is that a community college?" Or they say "oh" but their facial expressions obviously display that they have never heard of it at all. I used to be interested in Georgetown, and when people heard that they would say "I didn't even realize Georgetown had a college." Thing is, I live about 3 hours away from Georgetown, Colorado....ha!

But for all you MIT kids- my brother is 11 and is brilliant at math and science- so he knows about MIT because we all tell him that is where he's going. LOL.

By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Quakerboy2, I must agree about Rent, but I think Collins was a professor who got fired rather than a student. He decides to become a teacher at NYU.

Oddly enough, MIT and NYU are the schools I'm going to have to choose between (not that it would be much of a choice if money wasn't an issue).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page