Sloan Managment Applicant

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Sloan Managment Applicant
By Midwestguy (Midwestguy) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

If accepted, I am planning to attend the Sloan School of Management. Does anyone know if that helps my chance of admission? Only 8% of each class applies to the management school. Thanks!

By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

The major you declare on your application isn't supposed to be a factor in your admission. However, I do think it has at least a little significance. De facto vs. de jure, if you get my drift.

I was accepted early (huge surprise for me) and I stated interest in Sloan.

By Amilee04 (Amilee04) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

hey pillsburychoboy, what do you think stood out the most about your application?

By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:11 am: Edit

Three things: essays, essays, and essays again. :)

By Midwestguy (Midwestguy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Are there any stats about acceptance rates to Sloan compared to other applicants? Overall the acceptance rate is about 17%, but I think it might be higher for management school applicants.

By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Officially, there's no difference because once you get in, you can choose whatever major you want (MIT undergrad doesn't have separate schools within the overall school unlike, for example, UPenn). Though admissions might unofficially favor people who apply to Sloan because it is relatively obscure (tho it is the #2 undergrad business program) compared to its engineering program, there's no evidence that they do. If that were the case, lots of people would just apply stating an interest in management even if they plan on majoring in something else.

I'm not sure if MIT has public statistics available about admissions vs. proposed major, but officially, it doesn't seem to make a difference. EECS or Management, it's really hard to get in, period.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page