RSI?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: RSI?
By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Can anybody explain what RSI is? From what I have gathered so far, it seems like a top notch high school that is very selective. The part that really got my attention, however, is that RSI students consider MIT to be a backup school!! I seriously cannot imagine a school like MIT being any type of safety school, so I really want to know more about RSI. Whats the scoop?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

RSI = Research Science Institute
a super-selective summer program for rising high school seniors hosted by MIT (and now Caltech). RSI admissions are more selective than MIT admissions, plus MIT has a very supportive relationship with RSI, which is the main reason that anyone who attends RSI can feel confidant that they will get into MIT.
http://www.cee.org/rsi/index.shtml

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Yeah, the E3 card has an RSI checkbox.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Oh, we wish RSI was a high school. It's actually a uber-selective, free six-week research program, in which 80 or so students from around the world have an internship and do a research project. RSI students do indeed consider MIT a safety for several reasons. The types who make it to RSI are the types who would make it to MIT with their scores, awards, research experience from RSI. Also, RSI does indeed have a close relationship with MIT, from which Rickoids (RSI participants) in getting accepted to (and attending) MIT in large numbers. Also, history speaks for itself, in that since it has moved to MIT, only one (or two according to some sources) RSI alum has been rejected from MIT.

Other staggering stats about Rickoids:

2003-04 Siemens Westinghouse Competition-23 semifinalists, 7 regional finalists, one finished third nationally

2002-03 Siemens Westinghouse Competition->20 semifinalists, I don't remember the rest but the national winner

2004 Intel Science Talent Search-21 semifinalists, finalists to be announced

2003 Intel Science Talent Search-27 semifinalists, 9 finalists, first place winner

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Wow. I feel like kicking myself in the head for not knowing what RSI was. I wish I applied for that summer program even though I probably wouldn't have gotten in. Anyways, thank you for the information guys! Maybe this will help out my younger brother.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

don't get the impression that RSI is a way to get a leg up in the application process for MIT. It isn't that students who would otherwise be rejected get admitted because they did RSI. RSI is so extraordinarily competitive that the people who are accepted would be at the top of MIT's applicant pool even if they never actually went to RSI.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Yeah, he said it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page