Is this enough?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Is this enough?
By Homer2568 (Homer2568) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

My top choice for a school is MIT followed by Harvard. I was wondering what my chances are for those schools (im a junior). Here are my stats so far:
Fresh GPA: 3.8
Soph GPA: 4.0
Junior GPA: 4.0 (as it stands now)
SAT I - 1500 (800 m, 700 v)
Very competitive private school - AP Chem, AP English, Ap Stats, AP French, IB Physics, AP Bio, BC Calculus, all by the end of senior year (took 5 honors classes as a junior with total of 19 honors classes throughout high school)

Class Board (9-11) serving as president of my class 10-11
President of the Model UN Club. (11)
On the DI (Destination Imagination) team. -state finalists.
Started my own website that nationally connects students with (well no more details since its not up yet!- hehe)
Volunteer work for the PCRF (Palestinian Children's Relief Fund)
Published articles in the Chaldean-Detroit Times.
Two summer prgsm (one at University of Chicago).
Intership at a financial firm.
Featured columist in school newspaper.
Volunteer work in Palestinian Refugee camps in Lebanon.
Detroit Free Press Writing Award. (hopefully more writing awards to come)
-I have a brother at Harvard
-Work for a medical clinic.
-JV and V(hopefully) tennis...state champ team
-Arabic background...mom is palestinian dad is iraqi
-Recs will be good.
Lemme know what u think my chances at MIT and Harvard are. Ideally I want to study Information Technology with Business. MIT has a program at Sloan for undergrads like this.

By Homer2568 (Homer2568) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

bump

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

20%

By Bluestardust (Bluestardust) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

it looks like you do a lot of stuff, but by the way you phrased the question ("is this enough?"), you need to rethink some things. what you've done is impressive, but they don't relate to each other (except maybe the arabic background). my theory is that admissions officers like to see a theme in your application. it shows that you care about something.
so think about yourself, and choose one thing that you REALLY care about. then go at that one thing with all the energy and free time you have.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page