The Interview

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Duke University: 2004 Archive: The Interview
By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

How important is the interview in the Duke admissions process, will you still stand a chance if you don't interview?

By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I don't think any school will penalize you if you were unable to do an interview. It just helps the admissions board to see your personality- things they wouldn't be able to know by a paper application. If you're close to borderline when the admissions people look at your folder, the interview can really make a difference. I've heard the interview process is considered more at Duke than many other schools, so you should try to get one if you can.

I interviewed this fall on campus, and I'm crossing my fingers, but I think it went really well. The guy (a senior this year) and I had a ton in common, such as a love for faulkner. But for my Yale interview, the woman kept going on and on about how overrated Yale was and how she had a terrible time and so forth... I didn't really know what to say to that. So, I guess it's luck of the draw. :D

By Offbeat_Ophelia (Offbeat_Ophelia) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

my interview was so awful, the woman told me i should go to yale

weird, huh

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

My daughter,who was accepted ED,was never even contacted for an alumni interview. Apparently, there are no alumni who conduct interviews in our immediate area. She was actually relieved to not have to go through the interview because she is a very reserved person.

By Baseballtwin86 (Baseballtwin86) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Lol, told you to go to Yale :S . Any reason why.

My interview was a lot of fun, as I've said many times on this board :D.

By Honey1285 (Honey1285) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

I hope someone can help me on this!

I applied to Duke RD but didnt know that to get an interview in my area, I had to send in my application by Dec. 1st. I would really like to have an interview. Is there any way to get one or is it too late?

By Ishan (Ishan) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

Neither did I, but then again , I doubt Duke has a alumini here in Delhi (:))

By Vegablonde16 (Vegablonde16) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I had a great interview just last week. The interviewer was a 35 yr old guy, so he was young and hip; he made me feel really comfortable. I had a Cornell interview about a month ago, and that was much worse. The woman was old and rich and really only talked about herself. At the end, she said, "I'm sure you'll find the school that is right for you." Lol, Cornell is supposed to be the school thats right for me! whatever though, I really like Duke and I hope I get in. So for interviews, the person you get is really important.

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

i had an awesome interview... now if only it could make up for my grades -_-

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

"I hope someone can help me on this!

I applied to Duke RD but didnt know that to get an interview in my area, I had to send in my application by Dec. 1st. I would really like to have an interview. Is there any way to get one or is it too late? "

Honey, where did you get this info?

By Rumpyee (Rumpyee) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

I had both a cornell and duke interview. i applied to cornell ED and got deferred, so i was surprised when they contacted me last week for an interview.....i was stoked! my cornell interview went really, really well....the guy's daughter is applying to cornell this year too and the last thing i said as i walked out is "i hope to see your daughter at cornell next year" and he said "that would be wonderful." .....an hour before my cornell interview, i got contacted for my duke interview...that one was conducted more like an interview, whereas the cornell one flowed more like a conversation.....as i was walking out, the guy said he was going to give me a good recommendation....

goodluck to all those who apply!

By Mentor99 (Mentor99) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

I do Duke alumni interviews. It is not supposed to be a grilling or a big challenge. It is mainly informational for you, and for the Duke guys to have one more opinion as to whether you are a paranoid axe murdering skin head, etc.
The reference letter from the alumni interviewer counts about the same as the reference letters from your teachers, except, you should be aware that if your school has had some kids applying to Duke over the years, Duke knows which teachers BS the references. One counselor I talked to was getting a big laugh out of a set of letters from one teacher at a big city school -- all the letters were identical.
Alumni are just alumni, they aren't the school. Use good judgement in picking your school, just as the admissions guys are going to use good judgment in looking at you.

By Shine (Shine) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

offbeat:
maybe you mentioned too much about Yale during the interview of DUKE and I think it's among the top DON'Ts

just be careful next time

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page