Chances for Western PA Student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Chances for Western PA Student
By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

You all know the deal. I'm applying to MIT with an intended major of Chemical Engineering and a possible second major in Mathematics.

GPA: 3.97UW, 4.30W
SAT: 1500 (800M,700V)
ACT: 33 (34E,36M,28R,34S)
SATII: 800 Chem, 800 IIC, 680 Writing
APs: Calc AB (5)
Schedule: AP Physics C, AP English, Principles of Democracy, Economics, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Calc BC (independent study)

ECs: Varsity Tennis (starter since sophomore year), Math Team (president/captain, top scorer), Quiz Team, NHS, Mock Trial (starting team prosecuting lawyer), Chemistry Olympiad (iffy performance last year), Science Olympiad (couple regional medals)

Excellent recs (one of my teachers actually said I validated his choice to teach)

Good essays

Thanks in advance!

By Trinity04 (Trinity04) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

just as good as anyone else with similar stats.

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit

I think you definatly have a shot, MIT gets very few applicants from appalachia (incliding West PA).

I personally know a girl who got in from my school (Quaker Valley-Near Pittsburgh) and you are definatly more qualified than her. You've got better SAT(she had 1460), better ECs, and a better GPA, class rank(she was 4/154), and a better schedule(she only had 4 APs)

You've certainly got better recs and SAT IIs, so I think you should really get in. Although at schools like MIT, even the best admission candidates have no more than a 30% chance

Although....

I recently got an A on a Calc test(93/100), while this Senior going to MIT got a C(76/100)!! I definetely think you are the more deserving student and If you do't get in I will HATE MIT FOREVER!!!

(Or possibly I'm just a bitter junior who feels overwhelemed getting prepped for college admissions)

However, if you dont get in.......
If you want to be an engineer, any school in the top 10 will get you an interview, graduates from Ga Tech/Michigan/UIUC/etc. will not be frowned upon because they did not go to MIT. In fact, I hear employers covet engineers who went to schools like uMich/UIUC because at the big state U's engineering programs there is NO GRADE INFLATION. So good luck wherever you go!

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Thanks a whole bunch man. I'm also applying to CMU, PSU, Case, Wash U, Columbia, and Pitt and all of them have decent engineering programs.

Anyone else with opinions?

By Simeon (Simeon) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

hey.. if your essays are decent, and unless you do something silly to offend them, you're in, i think.. or you should be.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Gameguy that's an interesting statement. Although I too admit that the girl accepted from my school is dwarved by me in math, she was more well-rounded (cough, rich and had more EC opportunities), 76/100 probably means the acceptee got a little too wrapped up in his/her self to study. MIT doesn't make (too) many mistakes. Good chances for the thread starter, though. By good I mean 33% (twice the acceptance rate :))

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

bumpage

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

bump

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

bump, come on all

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page