Would I have a chance in MIT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Would I have a chance in MIT?
By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

So far, as a junior, I've got:

- Straight A's since 10th grade (3.5 in 9th grade... I didn't care that much about school then). I'll probably end up being valedictorian or at least be in the top 3.

- Full IB

- Four HLs: Physics, Chemistry, Math, and History of the Americas

- Two SLs: English A1 and Spanish B

- I'm also taking an online Nuclear Physics course this coming semester, and going to sit the AP Biology exam (going to prepare by myself) this year.

- Decent amount of community service. I'm part of the Operation Smile club, and I help out in every 'mission' they have. The missions last a weekend, but it's about 10hours a day.

- Community service every Saturday all through 10th grade. I'm going to start it again next semester (2nd half of junior year). I stopped for this semester because I was kind of tired and wanted to take a break,.

- Secretary position in the Operation Smile club. I'm planning on running for President next year for the Operation Smile Club, and Vice-President for my NHS or Debate club.

- Membership in the Debate Club, Eco Club, NHS, and Web-Design club.

- Varsity rugby. Can't really do any other sports because I have no more free time.

- Good relations with pretty much all my teachers and counselors. I'm sure they'll write good recommendation letters.

- Some awards here and there, but I don't think those were anything special or significant.

- 1310 in the SATs last year as a sophomore. Haven't got then PSAT results back. I'm expecting to get at least a 1400 on my SATs when I take them again, but aiming for 1500+.

I'm also trilingual, pretty much. Fluent in Korean and English, and I'm near-fluent in Spanish. I'm going to start learning French/Italian (one of the two) and Japanese this summer (I live in South America, so it's summer right now) break, and probably take the SAT IIs for one of them as well, just to show them I speak it. I'm not really sure if knowing more languages will help my chances or not (probably not), but I'm just doing it for fun anyway.

Oh yeah, and just in case you guys missed it, I go to an American school in South America. That means I don't really have as much opportunity as people do in the US in terms of science/math olympiads and stuff like that. I also wasn't able to apply to any summer programs because they're kind of expensive, and MIT's program didn't involve schools from Peru .

Okay, those are probably not that impressive for the geniuses and the model students here, but that's what I've got so far. So, what do you think? I know it's really a case-by-case kind of thing, but just try to give me an estimate I guess. In what areas am I lacking in?

By Frank (Frank) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

why bother posting all that stuff up? you already know yourself that you obviously have a decent chance

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Well no I don't, because everyone tells me MIT is near impossible. -_-

By Itempest (Itempest) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Near impossible is not impossible.

Anybody's got a chance. Be a great person.

By Emcatmit (Emcatmit) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

If you're not American, get into an Olympiad NOW! ALL international students at MIT have **at least** a gold medal at national level and most have at least a bronze at international level. There are quotas for international students (8% of the student body), so unless you get national recognition before applying, you won't have a chance.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:06 am: Edit

What bull... don't listen to that. Even though I'm competing to be part of that 8% myself, I assure you that an olympiad isn't necessary.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

Olympiads are incredibly hard for me since the only ones my school is involved in is Peruvian ones, and well, I don't speak Spanish -_-

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:11 am: Edit

Olympiads rule!! <---Canadian math olympiad =)

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Any other input?

By Emcatmit (Emcatmit) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

I got a couple of friends from Peru that went home for Christmas. I am not sure if they are coming back for IAP. Probably they can give you better advise? I can give them your e-mail address if you wish.

Anyway, I am serious when I say national recognition is a must for international students(olympiads are just an easy way of obtaining it).

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

The only way I can get national recognition is through Debate or Olympiads -_-. My school isn't really involved with the Olympiads, and I only have a slim chance of being on the national debate team :(.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Computer - your school need not be involved. Granted, USACO is hard, but...

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

What's USACO? Got any info?

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Google it. USA Computing Olympiad

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

all i gotta say is: make those "plan-to-be"s into "am"s. for now thats all superfluous. i believe you can do it.

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

and id recommend doing something you feel passionately about... dont live by others (aka what you think colleges will want) standards. rarely is someone elses standards the same as yours. its just like rank...simply getting number 1 does not meaning the best you can do...
just be yourself...dont worry too much about "oh no im screwed cuz im not like those pplz who get national awards". know what you want. settle for nothing less.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the comments.

Smilekat, I'm going to try my damndest to make them "am"s.

You also said I should live by my own standards and what I want. I want to do something in science and math, and I want to go to MIT because I think that's the best place I can be. ^_^

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

if you've got the determination, you can make something great... even if it means it doesnt happen at mit =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page