Freaking out - Dec. 15 interview deadline?!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Freaking out - Dec. 15 interview deadline?!
By Zorro5280 (Zorro5280) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

I got the letter stating that interviews are VERY important and to make an appt. by 12/1. I called my local rep in November. She took my e-mail address & phone and said she'd get back to me. I then went on with my life. Today, just surfing around, I hit the MIT webpage that states that all interviews must be COMPLETED by 12/15 (this was not in the letter). This woman never got back to me! I did my part exactly as prescribed, but she dropped the ball! I then read that at MIT, the interview is literally mandatory. After all the time I put into the app, visiting the school three times, etc... now I might be totally screwed because this alum didn't do HER job!? What should I do? I'm trying to calm myself down before calling her, because right now I know I'll say something self-defeating out of anger.

By Frank (Frank) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:11 am: Edit

probably won't make a difference. Just do the interview within a week or so. The admissions staff won't start looking at apps until mid january once everything is sorted out and processed. Yes, it'll be rushed, but won't jeopardize your chances.

The interview isn't even mandatory anyways.

By Zorro5280 (Zorro5280) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

Reason for freak:

"Students who interview for MIT are admitted at 2.3 times the rate of those who could have and didn't."

It's daunting as it is to get into a school such as MIT. To have it in your file that you had the opportunity to interview but, as they might see it, you couldn't be bothered, is an unfair strike against an applicant when it is patently untrue. I'm quite upset.

By Binks (Binks) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I suggest calling your alum again. Though they should be completed by Dec.15, some of alums may take longer to write and send the letter in...so I think you still may have a shot. And Frank's right, chances are, they won't get to you till mid-January. If you call your alum and she drops the ball again, the send in a letter stating your situation about the interview. Interviews are really just MIT's way of sorting out the really wierd kids...

By Frank (Frank) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

"Students who interview for MIT are admitted at 2.3 times the rate of those who could have and didn't."

Sorry but that's an idiotic reason to freak out.

Think about the reason behind that stat.
In general, applicants who never bothered to do an MIT interview don't have much of an interest in MIT anyways, and just bullsh-t much of their application. As long as you really care about getting into MIT and take your application seriously, admissions officers won't notice whether or not you have an interview done.

By Hcpjk (Hcpjk) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

Listen don't freak out. I called my interviewer on Dec. 29 and we did it on the 30th. MIT said they'd like to have the interview report by the 4th or something, plus every college is a mess right now. Maybe you could email MIT and say it was impossible to get in contact with your interviewer and then get it done asap. Don't freak out though, its not worth it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page