Major in Management Science and Minor in BME

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Major in Management Science and Minor in BME
By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Hey,

I was accepted EA and I was looking over the course offerings. I was wondering if any Management Science majors pursue a minor in Biomedical Engineering since MIT does not seem to offer a major in BME. Is it possible, and if so, how intense is the course load? Anyone have first or second-hand experience?

Thanks

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

hrm... course 15 and bme...
thats a pretty awkward combo. although MIT doesnt offer a major in bme, the way that the minor is offered right now, is almost like a major. what you do is you declare a major (the most common ones are mechanical, ee/cs, material sci & eng, nuclear eng, chem eng, bio, chem), and then minor in bme. since bme is a pretty hardcore minor, they often dont require you to complete your whole major. take course 2 (mech eng) for example, the way they offer it is that you do course 2A and then minor in BME. 2A means that you only have to complete half the requirement for course 2 (they specify which ones), and then you satisfy the rest of the graduation requirement from what you have to do for the BME minor.
even though BME is not offered as a major right now, it is a very intense minor, and it will help a lot if you pick a major that releates to biology/engineering, because often times they cut you some slack in graduation requirements. and BME will become a major for the class of 2009.
at the same time, they are going to offer minor in management... if you are interested in BME and management... i think majoring in some science/engineering major, then minor in BME and management would be the easier way to go.
personally im planning to major in 2A or 3A (3 is material science and engineering... the A is similar to the way 2A works), the minor in BME and economics.

By Solus (Solus) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

When you say BME will be a major for class of 2009, that would be class of 2008's sophomore year. Since MIT doesn't ask that you declare your majors/minors until end of freshman year, will class of 08 be able to major in BME?

OR

How hard would it be to transfer if I major in bio, chem or some relevant engineering field until BME major is offered?

Thanks!

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 05:34 am: Edit

this article from the tech helps...
http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N42/42bioeng.42n.html

and i think if you are majoring in some relevant engineering field and also taking BME minor classes... it shouldnt be too difficult to switch to BME major when it is offered... unless of course it's like the 2nd sememster of your senior year.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 12:50 am: Edit

You can switch majors whenever you want. You don't practically have to declare a major until you want to, but you do kinda have to make up your mind sometime probably before the end of your sophmore year if you want to take all the required classes. They'll bug you to declare one, but there's no other pressure. As long as you complete the requirements, they really don't care when it's declared, so, if you want to do BME, just take the classes that you think will be necessary, and then once the option comes up, you'll be able to formally declare that's what you're doing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page