The California thread

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: The California thread
By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Nothing yet in CA as far as I know.
Bah... hopefully tomorrow

By Calikid (Calikid) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Deferred, SoCal

By Storm25s (Storm25s) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

damn, cali, you heard before us ny'ers!

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

that may mean you got accepted, Storm.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

vsage, i'm not sure whether the accept/defer letters take different amounts of time, but i highly doubt it. my friend who also applied to MIT lives a block away from me and several other people who applied also live quite close. i know the stats on all these people and its unlikely any of us got in and impossible that we all did. sadly however, as of today no one has gotten any letters. i think it really just has to do with which postal truck was carrying which envelope :(

By Chboinky (Chboinky) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

calikid, how'd you find out you were deferred?

By Calikid (Calikid) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I got a little envelope in the mail. Does Canyon High School ring a bell? I'd like to know if anyone around here goes to a high school that's similar to mine.

By Escabatum_Rip (Escabatum_Rip) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

canyon? I go to campolindo, it sounds really familiar.

By Spikex35 (Spikex35) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I go to Chadwick, in Palos Verdes. I haven't gotten a letter yet, neither has anyone else at my school as far as I know.

Where's Canyon High and Campolindo? I've never heard of those schools...

By Calikid (Calikid) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Canyon High is like 10 minutes away from Six Flags' Magic Mountain.

By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Has anybody from California (Bay Area, specifically) either gotten their decisions or gotten accepted? I haven't read about one person from CA being accepted.

I have yet to receive my decision.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Oh sry. I posted in the deferral thread. Got it yesterday. I live 25 min southeast (280 south for 15 minutes and 85 south 10 more minutes) of Stanford.

By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:45 am: Edit

bump

By Memememe (Memememe) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:50 am: Edit

That misterpeachy character was accepted.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:52 am: Edit

I'm sure you're aware that you may phone in to ask for your admissions status... if not, it's true. You can call.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:53 am: Edit

canyon high school... of course it rings a bell! i went to foothill high school... heard of that?

By Calikid (Calikid) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Holy crapperz...

Could you give a brief description of Foothill High (SAT averages, poor/rich community, percent attending 4 year college, etc.)? Canyon's pretty average overall...mean SAT is 1050...

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 06:01 am: Edit

foothill...
-big.. with like 2600 students
-avg SAT M-571 V-541
-lotsa AP tests offered
-IB program...going into its 4th year
-40 something percent Latinos, 40 something percent caucasian, a little less than 10 percent asian, only a few african american. about half of the school is really affluent.
-around 50% go on to college... half of them to jc, half of them to 4 year colleges... a few go to ivy, stanford, MIT caliber schools. lots go to berkeley and UCLA, then to other UCs. relatively not that many go to calstates
-student body... pretty diverse. and as much as i hate to admit it, the oc stereotype does exist... lotsa nice cars, lotsa drugs because kids can easily afford it.

By Calikid (Calikid) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Hmmm...very similar to Canyon, but we probably have one student going to an Ivy caliber school each year (one student to Stanford every 5 years YEAH-YUH), two at the most.

Our breakdown is about 25% Hispanic, 3% Asian, ~66% Caucasian....

And yes, lots of crackheads...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page