Finals

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Finals
By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

so all you MITers... what finals are you taking. i'll start with myself. 8.01 tomorrow (which is driving me insane) and 3.091 wednesday.

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

8.01 tomorrow (I gave up on Oscillations, Elliptical Orbits, and Relativity...what the hell are we supposed to study?)

18.02a tuesday

3.091 wednesday

Hass Thursday (200 pages to read)

Please, put me out of my misery.

By Bmckn (Bmckn) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 01:25 am: Edit

Hahaha.

This gives me such a buzz. I wish I was there.

Fingers. Crossed. So tight.

By Bob_3002 (Bob_3002) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

18.03 Tuesday morning

5.12 Wednesday morning

Go home Saturday! Yeah!

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:11 am: Edit

hey binks, yeah i gave up on 8.01 too... same thing. anything after the last exam... screw it.
i just filled my aid sheet with sample problems, and keep my fingers crossed........

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 01:23 pm: Edit

um.. yeah... maybe shooting myself in the face would be less painful than the 8.01 final...
1 down... 1 to go...

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

My hand are now in the hand of the graders...grade easy for me and hard for everyone else.

I guess you didn't think the test was too hot either eh?

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

yeah the test didnt go well at all... im just hoping that everyone else feel the same way so we can have a huge curve... and also, im hoping the physics gods (aka graders) will be nice to me.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

is 8.01 the standard first year physics course at MIT?

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

8.01 is the one that most people take. its classic newtonian mechanics. but some people can place outta with AP credits and the like to 8.02 which is E&M. there is also a variations of 8.01 such as 8.012 (which is more theoretical), 8.01L (which is longer, spands over IAP, for people with absolutely no background in physics) and the like.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Well at least it's pass/fail then, right? :)

I'm taking an intensive physics course this year in high school, but I'll probably take 8.01 next year if I end up at MIT...I'll be advanced enough in chem/calc that I'll need a break somewhere.

Matt

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

watch out for chem though. they dont take AP/IB credit for chem. and the chem placement test is notoriously hard... something like only 1 person pass it each year. my friend who was in the national chem olympiad couldnt pass it either.

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

I'm in 8.01L because I had one year of poorly taught Physics B in high school...and it's one of the best decisions I made. Having only two finals this week is great (well, better than having three or four). My HASS doesn't have a final. My 18.02 final went well, and I'm only looking to pass 3.091. Almost there...

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I can't begin to imagine how hard the chem placement exam will be (a guy from my school who goes there (c/o '05) came back and was griping about how they didn't accept his 5 on the AP exam). I wish I had a chance to pass it but my current AP chem teacher babies us. The semester exam today consisited of such abstruse multiple-guess questions as "What do all isotopes of an element have in common?"

I did actually have a question on it though if someone would mind answering it: Which of the following is not a subatomic particle?
A. X-Ray
B. Proton
C. Electron
D. Neutron
E. They are all subatomic

I chose E because an X-ray, being an electromagnetic wave, is composed in theory of photons right? The chem teacher says that its not a subatomic particle. I argued with him that X-ray was ambiguous and could have referred to one quantum or a million quanta.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Vsage3: Since photons are not components of an atom, I would argue that they're not, in the most literal sense, sub-atomic.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

I considered that. I guess sub-atomic must mean contained in an atom but simpler? I reasoned during the test that subatomic just meant smaller and not necessarily subdividing the atom. Ill trust you on it, though. Thanks

By Deusexmachaera (Deusexmachaera) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Theirs a slight possibility I'm talking out my ass, but I am almost certain that sub-atomic merely refers to scale.

By Gogoinwi (Gogoinwi) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I wouldn't consider an x-ray a subatomic particle (see Penguin's last post). But it's obvious you know what you're talking about, so it's kinda sad that you lost the points while other people probably just memorized word for word the textbook definition of "subatomic particle."

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

A photon is a sub-atomic particle. But x-ray is not ONE photon. I think you'd have to say that light doesn't refer to one particle, it refers to a wave. So I think it makes sense.

By Deusexmachaera (Deusexmachaera) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Memememe, thats not strictly true. X-ray merely denotes the frequency of the wave(and by extenstion the wavelength). Thus, a photon with a de Broglie wave length in the specified range is indeed an X-Ray. You'll never observe it "in the wild", so to speak, but it's still technially true.

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Well, it does say "ray." Maybe if your teacher wrote, "discrete quantum of energy emitted at the frequency of an x-ray"... ;-) j/k. I just think that at this point, you're arguing word choice more than concept, which usually means you can't win against arbitrary teachers.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Mrowry: Yes, it is a dispute over nothing but language, specifically the words "ray" and "subatomic". One could argue, however, that no multiple choice question should admit this much valid and inconclusive semantic dissection, since an MC format does not allow the respondant to discuss nuance/ambiguity, and that therefore the question should just be discarded.

Vsage3: If I were you, I'd print this discussion out for your teacher, just for laughs. Only in a forum full of anxious MIT hopefuls...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page