Does MIT care about....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Does MIT care about....
By 21someone21 (21someone21) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Obviously MIT is a math/science school but do they care about History/Humanities and Art classes to show that you are well rounded?
Would sending art slides in with my application help even if I am majoring in math(unless I go to an art school). My school doesn't have very many AP classes and there were only 2 choices junior year( History or English). Does MIT even care if I took AP History?

By Binks (Binks) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

I think that MIT will be impressed that you are interested in the humanities as much as the sciences. Although, I'm sure they'ld like to see just as many AP math and science classes as well as humanities classes...for one thing, the lowest course for math here is 18.01...which states Calculus AB as a prerequisite. So naturally, you can assume that certain AP's and classes will factor more than others.

By 21someone21 (21someone21) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I took Calc at FSC sophmore year and I will probably take AP Calc AB (but take the BC test) next year. The only AP science class my school is AP Bio( I probably will take it just because it is an AP class) + Physics(my school only has Honors). I will probably take more college classes during the summer.

By Amilee04 (Amilee04) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

Binks....I just finished second semester calc at a UW school (with A)...should i take the BC exam to ensure credit? If I wind up at MIT, I don't want to have to retake things in the event that the credits wouldn't transfer. Thanks :)

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:07 am: Edit

Well, okay, here's the thing. Most freshmen start around the 18.02 level, which is Multivariable Calculus. To be out of 18.01, you would have to have had a 4 or 5 on Calc BC. (Although, I hear they might change it to just 5's) Alright, so this is how it breaks down:

If you get a 4/5 on AB, you can't take 18.02, but you can take 18.01a/02a (a course that reviews second half of Sing. Variable Calc and then go into Multi. V. Calc in a elongated semester)(a stands for accelerated)

If you get 3/lower on BC but 4/5 subscore on AB, same as above.

If you get 3/lower on BC but 3/lower subscore on AB, you'ld have to start at 18.01

My class for example, have about 100 people-ish in 18.01, 200 people-ish in 18.01a/02a, and most of the rest in 18.02. (A few tested out and taking Diff. Eq. and/or higher math)

Hope this helps.

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

Binks,
How many tested out of 18.02? How hard is it to do so (assuming you know the material)? (I'll have had 5 semesters of calc by the time I graduate (BC+MV+DiffEq+Complex), and I want to know what math I'll be taking as a freshman if I get into and go to MIT.)

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

Well, during orientation, there are math placement tests. I personally know about 4/5 people who tested out, but overall, my estimate would be around 50 kids testing out into 18.03 or better. I didn't take the tests, so I can't really tell you its content and level of difficulty. But I think about 75 kids or so took them...(shrug)

Most who test out end up taking 18.03 (DiffEq), but like about 5~10 kids take higher courses, like Topology, Math Analysis, etc. And if you happen to not test out of 18.03, maybe you'll get lucky and your schedule'll have a conflict, and you'll be "forced" to take math analysis...=P

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

So the testing is part of the process. Good.

What course # is Math Analysis? I can't seem to find it in the catalog. When you place out, do you get credit or just placement? (i.e will I only get credit for my 5 on the AP BC, or will I get credit for my other calculus courses (assuming I pass the placement test)?)

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:51 am: Edit

I have no idea about the credits. Don't worry about the credits...they're pointless and serve really no function.

Math Analysis I think is 18.100b. I could be wrong, cause I'm just recalling what a friend of mine mentioned.

By Bob_3002 (Bob_3002) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:01 am: Edit

I would say the number of people testing out of 18.02 or higher freshman year is over a hundred, at least. It seems like fully half of 18.03 this semester is freshmen.

Besides, the 18.02 placement exam during orientation was multiple choice, about 15 questions. It was pretty trivially easy if you had every had multivariable before. We had three hours to do it, and I and most of my friends were in and out in less than 45 minutes.

I'm especially glad to pass out of 18.02. From the psets I've seen, it's just too much work, much more than 18.03.

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:10 am: Edit

Bob_3002,
Do you know how many placed out of 18.03? And what did they take?

By Bob_3002 (Bob_3002) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:28 am: Edit

Most of the people I know who passed out of 18.03 received transfer credit from other universities. They seem very erratic about which credity they accept, so all you can do is try. You'll need to submit a transcript to the math office for a credit review. In my experience, they are more likely to give credit for 18.02 than for 18.03.

Most people who receive credit for 18.03 seem to be going on to 18.06, linear algebra. If they plan to be math majors or minors, anyway. Most other majors don't require math beyond 18.03.

18.100 A and B are both analysis. B is the more rigorous version recommended for 18 majors. 18.03 is a prerequisite for either.

Anyway, don't be in such a hurry to get ahead. I was, and my first semester was really tough on me. Everything really is on a different plane of difficulty. Taking it slow, at least at first, will really let you enjoy your time here.

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 08:51 am: Edit

Er, I won't have any college credit to transfer because I took the courses in high school, not college.

You're probably right about taking it slow, though.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

How in-depth is 18.02? I have done some multivariable and a lot of differential equations, so I'm just trying to figure out what I would place into at MIT

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

18.02 is pretty difficult. I think what makes it hard is that it's the first math class most freshmen take at MIT. I definitely wasn't used to spending hours and hours on homework. The first problem set was insanely hard, but they got easier after that. The exams are definitely doable (easier than the problem sets). I just had my final this morning and I thought it was pretty easy.

Unlike math homework in high school, problem sets here contain little (if any) "busy work" questions. I did the best on the problem sets if I looked at the problems early, thought about them, and then got inspired sometime later in the week. It's also helpful to work with others, and TAs have office hours. You can do really well if you put the time in (which is how most of the classes are at MIT).

By Dree (Dree) on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

I got transfer credit for 18.02, and took 18.03, my class was about 1/4 to 1/3 freshman so it's a pretty significant number, however other posters are right that 18.02 is taken by most people here first semester, and that it is a very in depth high level class. A little exposure to multivariable calc will not get you placement out of it. I had a college course in differential equations and still did not get 18.03 credit, since we had not covered one or two topics on the syllabus. Unless you have a remarkable background in math (and I mean remarkable even by MIT standards where virtually everyone has had AP calculus) I wouldn't reccomend taking something like analysis your first semester. 18.100B is a notoriously difficult class and unless you have vast experience with proofs, I would hold off until you've had been here a semester and taken an MIT math class.

By Matthias (Matthias) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

quick question for all of you MIT geniuses out there.

I just completed Calculus II and Discrete Math at the college level for this semester. This coming semester I will be taking Calculus III (equates to multivarible calculus) and possibly one other math course. Which would be preferable...Diff eq. (assuming I can work my schedule around it) or Linear Algebra (I know that I can take this class)?

By Matthias (Matthias) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

^^^Oh and I am applying to MIT, but I have about a 0.05% chance of getting (I sit on my ass most of the day).

So could you tell me which courses are preferable in both the MIT context and other good engineering programs' context.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Yeah.. despite having taken calc iii and diffEQ at a local college (which was a junior college up until the year I attended it), I will not even consider testing out of any math courses; sounds out of my league if only 100 or so freshies pass it each year. Besides that, the courses I took were incomplete because the students in my class couldn't handle the pace so the teacher slowed it down so we hardly got past triple integrals in calc iii, which is maybe 3/4 of the way through the actual course i was supposed to take. meh.. life goes on. all thats important is that MIT or no, I'm leaving florida forever ^__^

By Dwolfbearer (Dwolfbearer) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Just wondering, realizing that most of us wont get in anyway...I will have taken 2 semester of single v. calc, 2 of multi. v. clac, 1 of linear alg, one of intro diff eqs. and one of proof theory by the time i go to college in the fall...would i possibly test out of 18.03?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Dwolf you're nuts. If bob_3002 says its challenging, its challenging. check out his stats as well as other posts he's made (like the insane physics problem he solved)

By Dree (Dree) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Dwolf, I had math classes about equivalent to yours. I don't know where you're taking it ( i took it at a state school) but MIT is generally very reluctant to give 18.03 credit, so unless your diff eq is really exceptional, i wouldn't expect credit for it. i got credit for 18.02 and 18.06.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page