Chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Chances?
By Blah1111 (Blah1111) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

I applied Regular Decision and I was wondering how much MIT considers ethnicity in their decisions.

Stats:
Asian Male
SAT I: 800 M/670 V
SAT II: 800's (Writing, Math IIc, Chemistry)
UW GPA: 3.9
Class rank: 2/700 (Weighted)

AP Scholar with Distinction
Considering decent EC's, what are my chances of admission?

By Memememe (Memememe) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

Decent stats, but may I say something?

What makes you stand out from the millions of other overachieving Asian males with perfect SAT IIs and good SAT I scores (though 670 could use some work)? AP Scholar with Distinction isn't much.

Sorry to disparage you, but you didn't let us know what your decent ECs are. What are your passions? MIT wants kids with a passion. With just you wrote, I'd say not very good chance of admission.

FYI: I'm an overachieving Asian male also.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

well, crap. Asian male? Just tear up your application now :-[ haha

Just a few things...

First of all, what do you consider 'decent' EC's?

Your SAT scores are all right. Not great, not bad, all right. SAT II scores are good, about what I have (higher Chem ;) ). AP Scholar with Distinction, as paul said, isn't much. I have that, and I suck at AP's.

yeah. If you wrote your app like you wrote your stats, Matt McGann or Amrys is gonna take a look at your app and put it in the Generic Over-ish-achieving Asian Male stack (aka The Garbage Can)

By Memememe (Memememe) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

Just to add, we are both Asian males. We're not trying to hate on the race, but your short list is disturbing. Lot of kids on CC have around 10 pages of ECs (even if it's BS) they list, with research interests, major/minor, academic interests, maybe even love interests. If you cannot describe yourself more than SAT scores and GPA w/ AP Scholar w/ Distinction, it means you are either:
1. Asian
2. Pushed by parents
3. Haven't thought about yourself

Wait, all three are the same...

I think if you do your whole app in LaTeX, however, they might look at you differently.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

The point that Paul is trying to make (and is making very poorly, might I add ;) ), is that this is a highly competitive school. As Chris Mihelich might say, I don't underfrickinstand why you don't list more things under your stats, especially when the other kids on this board rant and rave on for like thirty pages about their honor this and meritorious that and with distinction magna summa cum laudissimus that.

And Paul - let's give him a chance to respond.

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:53 am: Edit

Memememe, for those people who list "around 10 pages of ECs," where do they put them on the app? IIRC, the application only has space for 6 activities and a similar number of awards. In other words, when evaluating someone's chances, shouldn't we only look at the first six EC's?

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:56 am: Edit

no.
that's not how it always works. The common app allows you to attach pages ``if you feel that it would contribute to our understanding of you as a student'' or something like that. Basically inviting you to attach a resume.

And besides. If you have multiple interests extracurricular, it'll come out in your essays and honors. They'll notice, trust me. It's not just a quantified metric... it's an all-around sense of being a rounded student.

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

MIT, last time I checked, does not use the common app. ;)

You can get in 6 EC's in the EC's. You can get a few in the honors. A couple more can go in the essays, but if you try to cram in any more, the essay will lose focus and start to sound like a résumé. My point is that any applicant can only list a limited number of EC's - and this number is far below the number we see from some of these chances threads.

The best way to do a chances thread would be for the applicant to post as much of the application as he or she feels comfortable with -- and nothing else. In other words, to declare EC's, the applicant should post a list of up to 6 EC's, in the form the application uses.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

I only gave 4 awards :)

But they have a clear picture of who I am... in fact, all essays mention computers or computer science :)
I was getting a bit worried that they might think I'm too much of a freak; but it's MIT and quirky is good.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

haha. good point, Arthurdent.

MIT allows you to have that opportunity, too, though. You can add random pages, I believe.

By Sunflower189 (Sunflower189) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

MIT *does* give lots of space for ECs, though. I've got the list too, and I managed to avoid adding a resume without any real sacrifice of quality...although I did do some creative formatting to get a 7th slot. MIT's app is orders of magnitude better than commonapp.

Granted, if you take my EC listing literally, I participate in such things as "Other Science Contests" and "Hobbies". Small price to pay. =)

By Arthurdent (Arthurdent) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Sunflower189, don't you think an adcom might not like your "creative formatting?" Granted, you get a chance to put a few more activities, but isn't there a risk involved?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page