Easier for minorities?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Easier for minorities?
By Liindu (Liindu) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

is it true that admissions is a little easier on minorities?

Thanks

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

according to MIT's newest CDS, minority status is "considered" in the process. another item they say they "consider" is the interview. Hope that clears it up

By Liindu (Liindu) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

thankx

am high school junior who just moved from india (non-muslim) i have a 3.8 GPA by the end of the sophmore year because i have B's and C's and my junior year i have A's and B's and my GPA will be up to 4.1 and my senior year of course it will be like 4.4 and stuff like that. My low grades at the beginnig of high school career is because i has just moved from a totally different system.

SAT's
I am aiming above 1450 and trying very hard to get it.

ACT's
I aim at 30 and i will get it because i am strong in science.

AP CLASSES
i have till now a total of 7 AP classes and i hope to pass atleast 5 of them.

What else should i do academically and EC's to increase my chances to get in?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

oops, being indian isn't considered being a minority in the sense MIT intends. In fact, because indians and asians seem to, in general, have higher test scores, this may work against you. Minority means under-represented minority (black, hispanic, native american).
Edit - Although giving us projections is nice, it is unnecessary because all that matters is what is on the app and what you say in the interview. You could have a perfect 4000 on SAT I's/II's and have ten 5's on AP exams and still not get in. List EC's if you have any

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page