MIT EA Chances: Please Evaluate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: MIT EA Chances: Please Evaluate
By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

hey guys! Can you evaluate my chances? I applied EA and I'm a lil nervous... Dec. 15th is right around the corner!!

Chinese female
SAT I: 770 V, 760 M
SAT II: 700 Writing, 780 Math IIC, 730 Biology

Total of 10 AP classes

grade 10
AP Computer Science AB - 3
AP Calculus BC - 4

grade 11
AP English Language and Comp- 5
AP Statistics – 5
AP History – 3

Grade 12
AP Biology
AP Chemistry
AP Physics C
AP English Literature
AP German

GPA: 94.98/ 100

Ecs:

Equitation for 6 years
Piano since … a long time ago
Prez of German honor society
NHS member
Science Olympiad (high school member, middle school assistant coach)
NJ Science League member
Hospital volunteer
Attended monthlong residential program hosted by MIT’s EECS department this past summer

Awards:

Society of Women Engineers Achievement Award
National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist
AP Scholar w/ Honor
American Association of Teachers of German Award

essay was decent, but not stellar

By Openthought (Openthought) on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Anything can happen. Your scores are MIT-competitive, you've got a couple of decent awards and Ecs, and a good transcript. I'm applying EA as well, and I know you have at least one serious advantage: you're female. MIT doesn't receive as many female apps as they do male apps, and they try to keep the ratio even, so you're chances are very good. Relax, you've done all you can do by now. Did you have an interview? How did that go?

By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for your help!

I actually had 2 interviews: one while I was on campus this summer and one w/ an alumni. The 1st one was pretty good, although relatively short (40 minutes) and it was a "group" interview with my roommate. For the one I had w/ the alumni, he came to my school and we talked for a little over an hour. I thought it also went fairly well. He mostly just asked about my summer experience and what I do w/ my spare time. I think he asked one question about school. It was pretty relaxed. However, I have read how other people's interviewers on this board told them they had a very good chance of getting in or that they would get deferred and such. My interviewer didn't do any of that. He just ended w/ an anecdote of how he had to go on a scavenger hunt his freshman year and ended up in one of the many steam tunnels. I dunno what that means...

do you think having an interview helps your chances significantly? Could it also hurt your chances?

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Allow me to say that the summer session at MIT will probably help you out. Concerning alumni interviews, I read that people with interviews are accepted at 2.3 times the rate of those who don't have an interview. I imagine that an extraordinarily bad interview may hurt your chances, but I wouldn't worry about it.

My interview was also very relaxed. We had read a lot of books in common and we talked about Feynman's lectures on Physics, Godel, Escher, Bach and the like. It was a pretty good time. I asked him about his UROP, and I found out he did track while at MIT, which was something I had been considering. We never once talked about my testing, or whether or not I would get in. He did email me after the interview and said he enjoyed our conversation very much. I recently emailed my EC another thank you note and I asked him whether or not he could "see" me at MIT. He said yes, but told me that MIT will look more at my overall qualifications than the notes he made during my interview.

By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

wow, that sounds great. GOOD LUCK!!

another thing, how do you think the optional part of the application will impact chances? I drew designs... relating to my perception of things (i.e. spirit, emotion, intellect, imagination,etc.)... on shapes so that when the shapes are cut out and folded, they form a 3-d figure.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

openthought, I would envy you if I wasn't so apathetic. My interviewer went to grad school at MIT as a business major. I'm planning on majoring in EE. It was apparent from the interview our disciplines didn't overlap so much :( (btw sorry for hijacking)

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

stupid double post

By Openthought (Openthought) on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

I don't know how the optional part will impact decisions, but I'd bet that those who did it, appear more as a person and an unique being. I did a piece of art/collage reflecting the intellectual giants that have had an impact on me (Ramanujan, Einstein, Heisenberg, etc.)

Vsage3, I didn't know that MIT had ECs who only did grad school at MIT. That seems a little unfair since grad and undergrad are two entirely different experiences. I got lucky with my EC, since he was a comp sci-EE double major that then went to Yale Law school. I do moot court so we could discuss law, and his UROP was with an MIT fusion team, which meant I could talk physics (I'm looking at math/physics). I think as long as your EC didn't make any overtly bad comments, you'll be fine.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page