MIT '08 Discussion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: MIT '08 Discussion
By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I just wanted to make a general forum for everyone who has applied to MIT EA to discuss the school and such. I don't mean for this to be another chances thread or anything, just a chance to meet people you may meet next year (MIT '08!) and learn about the school as a whole.

By Ria88 (Ria88) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

I applied EA. Random question: does anyone know how tolerant the MIT community is towards gay people? Is it more liberal or conservative?

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

From my limited knowledge, MIT is quite liberal in most respects.

GottaGetOut

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Yeah I have to agree, everything I've heard about MIT says that it's extremely liberal. They party the hardest, work the hardest, experiment the most (drugs, hacks, etc.).

Is MIT the first choice school for both of you? I know I'm dying to go there.

By Alcyone (Alcyone) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Heyhey! I applied EA, but now I'm having second thoughts...sort of. Well at least it's not binding. Anyway, I wanted to ask: what exactly is the difference (social life-wise) between east and west campus?

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

hrm... thats a really good question. let's see...
in my view
west campus is more dominated by the frat scene. many of the west campus people are affiliated with different frats or sororities in one way or another.
east campus has fewer connection with the greek scene. residents often form close bonds with their neighbors (this is true for both east campus and senior haus). in a way they become like one big family. and parties-wise, east campus throw lots of dorm parties, which are relatively smaller than greek parties, but fun (in different ways) nonetheless.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

To summarize Poutingminotaur:

West Campus is for the normal people at MIT.

E.C. just r0xx0r.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

E.C. is where its at.

By Wintermute (Wintermute) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Hey all--
I'm another EA applicant. Don't plan on getting in though--my SAT II's sucked like a Hoover. Maybe I can redeem myself next Saturday when I retake them...byw, anyone here from Massachusetts?

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

I'm from Florida myself. Hoping to make the long hike up to the cold next year :) Scores are quite good, but GPA is in the toilet from freshman and sophomore year. Still made National Honor Society this year (by the tiniest margin ever), so hopefully MIT will be nice to me!

"West Campus is for the normal people at MIT."

How so? Both of you seem to feel that E.C. is superior, but is that just because you don't like the whole party scene or what? How crazy does it get at MIT? I heard it's quite a fun place to go to school (aside from the work obviously).

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Nhlgoalie,

Read the East Campus web pages at ec.mit.edu and the web pages for the specific halls and then download the video at ec.mit.edu/rush/ and watch it.
This should give you a good idea of the flavor of EC.

GottaGetOut

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Thanks I'm downloading it now.

I heart MIT

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

i think "normal people" is all relative. if you go by to the MIT stereotype, and think of the "weird" people as those who work all day, do all these crazy computer stuff, sit in their room, and dont shower ever etc... they do exist in both west and east campus... but there are just very very few of them.

west campus, as i have said before, is dominated by the greek scene. and i think in a way thats why people say that its for "normal people", because the atmosphere there is more like people's perception of general college environment. i personally am not a big fan of frat parties, i have been to a few since i got here, and cannot say i had a great time at any of them. my interest lies in music, and i like to spend my weekends going to small indie rock concerts. and i found a few people here in east campus who enjoys doing the same. in general, i think east campus is home to people who are not too interested in the frat scene, but have other interests such as music, hacking, building things etc.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Pouting, has MIT lived up to everything you wanted it to be? Reading all the posts on this forum and talking to people it just seems like an amazing place to go to school if you really love math and science and don't mind working hard.

Also, you're a freshman right? Would you happen to know Phil Cassel or Jennifer Fishe? I know that's really random, but they both matriculated there last year from my school.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

i dont know either one of them... but i was looking them up in the freshman facebook, and i am certain that i have seen them around.

has MIT lived up to everything i wanted it to be...hrm thats a good question.
come to think of it, i dont really know what i came in expecting. but i have to say i really enjoy it here. the geeky side of me been has been appeased. it is wonderful to be surround by really intelligent people, and have witty exchange about maybe just the smallest daily things. and yes it does take some working hard, but at the same time i have not had the urge to scream IHTFP yet... because even though i dont like the workload, but MIT as a whole, i love, and i expected the hardwork. the only thing that i am not too content with right now is the lack of nurturing for my humnaities side. yes they do have HASS classes here, geared towards humanities. but somehow to me it seems that their approach are still very scientific, very technical, it seems to me that its not the humanities that i wanted. but in a way i expected that before i came here, because after all this is an institute of technology. but im confident that this wont be a longlasting feeling, because afterall i have only taken 1 HASS class, im sure there are more interesting humanities class out there, and if not, i can also cross-register at harvard.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Damn I'm so jealous. I, much like yourself I suspect, am quite passionate about math and science but am not so good at doing work on time or dealing with time management. Walking around the campus I got the feeling that, while heavy workloads would be put upon me, I simply could not get a better education. In addition, Boston is the best college town I can imagine and Tech-ers seem to know how to have quite a good time. As my cousin (Harvard '05) told me, MIT is where all the good parties go down.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

hahaha yeah MIT does have some of the best parties in town. and the time management thing... yeah... lets just say pass/no record is saving my butt right now. i cant wait till we are on grades *sacarsm*

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Yeah pass/no record is a pretty sweet system to implement for college freshmen.

All my high school friends laugh when I tell them that MIT is a place where you can have a lot of fun, but I can't wait to prove them all wrong. :)

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Speaking of time management issues, I have to do twenty three nights of math homework for a notebook check and I have to write an essay (assigned three weeks ago) for tomorrow. Not gonna be a nice night.

By Alcyone (Alcyone) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Hey Poutingminotaur, thanks for your insight. Could you maybe talk about the humanities stuff a little more? That's really why I'm having second thoughts about MIT...like every MIT applicant, I love math/science (other than bio), but I don't want to miss out on the liberal arts part. All the other schools I'm applying to have really strong humanities cores and are essentially liberal arts colleges. At the same time, I don't feel like I'll be challenged so much on the math/science side at those schools as I would be at MIT. How difficult is cross registering at Harvard? and do most MIT students shun the humanities "like the plague," as they say?

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

i think it is true that quite a number of MIT students shun the humanities. but at the same time there are also a good number who care for the liberal arts. and as to the humanities classes that are offered... i have heard mixed reviews. personally i dont like my class that much, but then again its a technical communication class, so its not really a true humanities in a sense. my friends seem to enjoy the philosophy, linguistics and history classes, but on the other hand the english (literature, writing etc) and theater classes (foundation of drama, theater etc) do not seem to have too good of a review. and it is not difficult to cross register at harvard. basically it has to be a class that is not offered at MIT, and you just need to fill out some paper work then you are registered at harvard. one of the good thing about cross registering at harvard is that then you get access to the harvard libraries. but the bad thing is that harvard's calendar is different than MIT's. spring sememster seems to be a little better, but fall sememster, MIT has finals in mid Dec, and IAP over Jan, while Harvard has final in mid January.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

I suppose what's important is the humanities that you love. Of course linguistics and political/social philosophy are going to be better because MIT houses the likes of Noam Chomsky and Steven Pinker. Poutingminotaur you'll have to comment here but, maybe MIT just has a different way of perceiving the humanities (trying to quantify "quality" and the like) than do other schools.

Hey Poutingminotaur, do you think that MIT is going to beef up what humanities course offerings they have there? Do you really think you'll cross-register? I realize that most people are of the scientific-technological bent, but would you say that most at MIT are at least up to date with current events? I know kids who are so into their biology/whatever major that they don't even know who Dick Cheney is.

By the way, is there a limit to how many credits you can accrue from Harvard? Granted your not going to get two degrees or anything, I am wondering how strict MIT is with the cross-registration program.

I hope to see some of you guys next year.

By Binks (Binks) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

hey, I know Jen Fishe, she lives down the hall from me.

About humanities at MIT...they group them all into one "major" (Course 21). However, that course is broken down to several components...21H...21W...etc (for history and writing, respectively) The thing is, I loved studying history in high school, and I didn't really know what to expect here. When I took my humanities class this year, I was surprised by the knowledge and expertise of the professor and the depth of the material he wanted us to learn. I mean, I think that MIT has a very fine humanities program, but it's really the attitude of the students here that makes it seem that it's lacking. Because so many students here are pursuing math/science areas, they really don't take humanities seriously and see it as blowoff. You can learn alot here, and the professors would be ecstatic to meet kids who are excited about the same things they spent their life studying. Seriously though, MIT is what you want it to be, that's why it's so awesome.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Thanks Blinks!

I am relieved to hear that I still have all the opprotunity I want to pursue humanities classes. I'm sort of like you, I also love studying history and the forces that shape society. The ironic thing is that although I am absorbed with math and science, my greatest acheivements to date have been in the humanities. Last year Duke hosted this international moot court competition and I enjoyed reading supreme court cases and then debating them at the competition. My partner and I went 3rd overall, and I personally was the 3rd best speaker. Although I don't imagine myself going into law, I think my mathematical-scientific mind aided my ability to analyze legal issues. Its good to hear that I can pursue physics and math as my primary passions, but still take the occasional humanities courses.

Thanks once again!

By Binks (Binks) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Hey you're a debater, that's awesome! MIT had the number one parliamentary debate team in the nation last year...but then pat and phil graduated...lol. Well, I'm on the team now and it's still lots of fun. You should definately check out the team here.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Sweet! I've only done L-D, policy, moot court, model UN, and Model General Assembly(MGA). In MGA you present a bill in either the house or Senate and you actually sit in the chambers while you debate bills/resolutions for the state gov't. I'd like to continue debate in college. I just found the MIT Parliament website, I think I'll give you guys an e-mail.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

bink or pouting, can you quantify exactly how much "a lot of work" is?

By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Hey Binks,

That’s pretty remarkable that you know Fishe…seeing as how there are only like three people actually going to MIT on this board. If you see her do me a favor, get her email or AOL screenname for me. Tell her it’s for “Pitts.” Also tell her I’m gonna come up and visit soon. I don’t think you can post her stuff here, so just email them to me if you do get them. Thanks a bunch!

You make humanities at MIT seem very positive, so now I’m even more excited. I can’t say I care a lot about non-technical classes, but philosophy and maybe music are interesting to me. Noam Chomsky, as you mentioned before, is pretty much as amazing as it gets in terms of philosophy, so I just can’t wait to get to MIT!

Now if only today was December 15th…and if only I get accepted… :)

Matt

By Binks (Binks) on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

You know you can look her up at MIT's website right?

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

That I did not know

Ahh the wonders of Tech (and tech)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page