Duke chances for California kid?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Duke University: 2004 Archive: Duke chances for California kid?
By Ghostman (Ghostman) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

SAT I: 710 V, 660 M.

GPA: 4.06 W, 3.87 UW. at a very competitive, well known boarding school that does not rank students.

(top 10% out of 60 students)

SAT II's: 740 Math IIC, 770 Writing, 710 Lit 670 US History.
AP Scores: US History 5, Envi. Science 5, English Language/Comp 4.

EC's and Leadership:

~ Founder of California Non-Profit company that volunteers computer tutoring and presentations to senior citizens. (420 hrs. community service with that so far).

~ Heavy involvement in Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership:
Selected and sponsored by school to attend local conference.
Selected out of many to attend World Leadership Congress in D.C. (sophomore year)
Helped lead local conference last summer.

~ Seminar assistant: Selected to help teach seminar program to sophomores at school, act as mentor and counselor.

~ Presidential Classroom: Selected and sponsored by school to attend weeklong D.C. program.

~ Editor-in-Chief School Newspaper

~ Senator (student council). Elected grades 11 and 12. Make school policy decisions.

~ Mock Trial witness last year, attorney this year. Team placed 3rd in county.

~ School Netmaster (Help run school network)

~ Varsity Soccer and Tennis 3 years in a row.
Soccer captain and tennis captain this year.

Work Experience:

Workd in IT and Public relations departments at technology company.

Volunteer surfing instructor at surf camp for little kids, 1 month.

Administered computer network at local boys and girls club.

Awards and credentials:
Various academic awards that i won't bother to mention.

But:
~ Internet Security Professional Certification
Licensed to do professional computer security consulting, track hackers, cool stuff like that.

~ Red Hat Linux Administration Professional Certification. Professional license to administer Red Hat linux systems.

Hobbies: Computer security stuff, surfing, sports, reading.

Please comment. Thanks!

By Baseballtwin86 (Baseballtwin86) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Very similar stats to me and I'd say a good chance. Are you and ED'er too?

I just say its a coin toss for anyone, its only 21 more days, 3 weeks!!!!

By Ghostman (Ghostman) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

I guess you are right; it is a coin toss for anyone. I am applying RD :) good luck.

By Prep (Prep) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Duke does not do well in recruiting Califronia kids compaerd to the Ivies. Your chances are decent, particualrly since you are not from the NY, NJ, CT area.

By Ghostman (Ghostman) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

Really? Duke's web site says that California is one of the most represented states...

By Engmom (Engmom) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 08:14 am: Edit

Why do you think ghostman's chances are better since he's not from NY, NJ or CT? Do you think they discriminate against kids from that area or have a glut of applicants from there or what?

By Baseballtwin86 (Baseballtwin86) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

They have a lot of applicants from the east, so you have a slightly better chance if your from the west :D. Go Duke, only 20 more days :D .

By Baseballtwin86 (Baseballtwin86) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

EDIT: Just check e-mail, Thursday December 11th for online notification, quite nervous

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page