Right Mentality But Few Chances: My MIT Changes.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Right Mentality But Few Chances: My MIT Changes.
By Ox (Ox) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Here are the numbers to begin with.
GPA: 4.0 (unweighted
1st in a class of 200 or so..not sure...depends on how many last. We have two students...very bright and then...not so much.
SAT: 1450, 710 Math 740 Verbal
ACT: 32
SATII: 620 Chem, 640 MathIIC, Writing 680
Umm...7 on the ASVAB, but I don't think that really means anything....
If your advice is retake one of the tests, that won't work. One its too late, two I have a competition with my brother in which we both agreed to take the tests only once and accept what we got, and three, SATsII are evil. They surround you with kids commenting about, "Well Harvard is nice, but Stanford is so much prettier. Its so hard trying to decide between all the Ivies..."...very moral destroying, I'm not even sure how I finished the test.

Okay, my classes in highschool have been the basic classes, the highest possible, except my music classes. There are no AP classes at my school, but I am taking classes to at the local college in Chemistry, Sociology, and C++, more for knowledge than anything.

With extra curricular, I've taken piano for four years, band for 2, then jazz band for 3, and quiz bowl for 4.

I really haven't had any chances to show my worth though. The students in the history of my school who could even think of going to MIT can probably be counted on your hand.

My main thing is I think I have the MIT mentality. I love science and math and I refuse to accept failure. I'm not sure if its a valid activity, but reading is a major thing in my life. On average I've read a new book every two weeks since I was five, ranging from philosophy, like Ayn Rand, science, Hawkings or Gould, scifi, asimov, king, eddings, jordan, etc. classics...and on and on.

Can this sort of mentality, if I show it properly in my interview and essays, make up for not having perfect scores or a perfect school?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Hm...

If you were URM/had hardship with those stats and with your mentality, you would be in...

Sounds like your school is pretty bad, so maybe you have a chance. What is your race/gender? What's your geographic location (and school profile while we're at it)?

By Ox (Ox) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

hmmm...well, I'm a rare white male in midwest (michigan) of the united states.
And my school profile...I don't think it qualifies as bad enough for it to look exceptional if you had great scores even though you went there.
It has really low MEAP scores in comparison to other local schools, MEAP is michigan scholastic test thing, and it does take on many of the mentally retarded students from other local schools...but its not like my school crowds fifty kids into a classroom or doesn't have enough textbooks to go around. We've even had a few national merits finalists...well, one that I know of, my brother. Oh well...I've heard rose - hullman or michtech are actually better than MIT in some aspects....and those grapes on the tree are really just rotten...

By Quain (Quain) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

Does MIT really take into account school level and geographic location? Is it more impressive if your school is bad, but you stand out? Hmm, my school has average 1050 SAT and about 60% attend to 2 year/ 4 year schools. Exactly average.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

You need to retake your SAT IIs. The math especially is way too low for MIT. I think the average math score for admitted applicants is mid 700s.

Your reasons for not retaking are pretty dinky in face of the fact that your current scores are low for the MIT applicant pool. If you are unhappy with the school you end up with, what difference is a bet with your brother going to make?

Here's something I copied from the MIT website. The range for math SAT II scores is probably the same as for math SAT I scores:

>What kind of scores do I need to be admitted?

"Generally, a score of 650 or above on any individual SAT-I section or SAT-II test will place an applicant into the range of being competitive. The average score on any of these tests for admitted students is in the 700s. The 25%-75% midrange of scores for students admitted in 2003 was 690-770 for SAT-I:Verbal and 740-800 for SAT-I:Math."

By Coureur (Coureur) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I think they were being generous when they said that 650 was competitive. During a visit to MIT this summer the adcom who spoke said that 700 was needed to be competitive. And the bulletin board in the admissions office said that the math mean for admitted students for last year was 763.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page