"You have to be DIFFERENT"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: "You have to be DIFFERENT"
By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Hey guys! (I'm new on this board, btw.) I've perused a variety of threads, but I never found one that provided examples of students who were accepted to MIT/Ivy schools. So, if any of you were accepted to an Ivy (or MIT), would you mind posting your stats? I'm currently a junior and aspire to go to MIT. I'm taking the SAT December 6, and expect a 1550+. (That's what the diagnostics tell me, anyway.) Nonetheless, I digress. I'm not here to ask you to "rate my chances" at admission; instead, I'd like to review specific cases of students that have been selected. In particular, I feel that I will be an average competitive Ivy applicant. I don't, however, feel anything currently distinguishes me from others in the competitive pool. Therefore, those of you that post, if you have anything that truly SHINES (lol), could you please mention that?

BOTTOM LINE: I've read that you need to be "distinguished" to apply for these top-notch schools. What constitutes such? Can someone provide me with some examples. THANKS SO MUCH!!

Sincerely,
MIT/Harvard aspirant

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

for MIT, I would recommend that you make the MOP or the olympiad team.

By Bob_3002 (Bob_3002) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:17 am: Edit

Accepted to MIT, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. Attending MIT. See profile for stats.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Math, physics, computing olympiads (or at least camp), Intel, Siemens-Westinghouse, RSI.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

"He recently graduated from Cookeville High School and will be attending Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the fall. He plans to major in either chemistry or chemical engineering. Bobby was a U.S. Physics Team semifinalist, a USA Math Olympiad qualifier, a USA Biology Olympiad semifinalist and captain of the 6th place team at the National Science Bowl. Bobby attended the 2002 Olympiad Study Camp..."

Holy crap Bob... did any schools offer you a full ride?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

no english AP's Bob? We can probably guess what you would have gotten though -_-.

By Bob_3002 (Bob_3002) on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Yes, I got 2 full rides, but I passed them up to go to MIT.

No English APs, because not enough kids signed up for the class to be offered at my school. And I'm sure I would have gotten a 2 or less, because my critical literature writing is lousy. But if you're going to MIT, take one of them if at all possible. It saves you a lot of trouble.

The Tech recently put out an article that explains how applicants are ranked. Each person is given a numerical index score from 1-5 based on class rank, GPA, math, science, and humanities standardized tests. Each student also receives a personal rating from 1-5 based on "co-curricular activities, extracurricular activities, general initiative, and other personal characteristics." 90% of admitted students have over a 3.5 numerical index, but that's obviously not the only factor in admissions.

There's also an article at http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/atwood1103.asp that explains how they choose who gets in.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

wow... thats amazing.

im a freshman at MIT... thinking about bioengineering.

um yeah... i didnt do any olympiad or anything...

this is my stat:
SAT I: 750 math, 700 verbal
SAT II: 790 math2c, 710 writing, us history, bio
ACT: 32
APs: calc bc 5 (taken during 10th grade), us history 4, euro histoy 5, bio 4
IB diploma: math HL, english HL, history HL, bio HL, math further studies, latin SL, comp sci SL
rank 1/500 in slightly above average large public high school
straight As (took the hardest classes offered)
really really good essay. i took the creative approach in my essay and wrote about my hands.
really really good recs.
EC: piano-11 years
classical vocalist-4 years, play guitar
bunch of other stuff... like mock trial, quizbowl, academic decathlon etc
the only competition i was in was pomona college mathematics talent search... made top 10. 10th grade year...
very very good interview

also........ lotsa luck.

also got into:
yale
johns hopkins (biomedical engineering with bloomberg scholarship)
princeton
UC berkeley
UCLA
UCSD
harvey mudd

By Nobody (Nobody) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

what happens if one doesn't send his AP scores because they are bad?
Also, is it bad if one takes only 3 APS in senior year?
Thanks.

By Terveloc (Terveloc) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

I didn't apply to any Ivies, but I did get into MIT, Duke, CMU, and others. I'm currently a sophomore at MIT. I applied and was accepted as a junior in high school (age 16).

As is the case for many MIT students, I passed up as much as $100,000 dollars in scholarships at some schools to attend MIT.

At 15, I became the youngest intern in the Engineering Sciences Center at Sandia National Laboratories. At 16, I recieved a Department of Energy classified clearance. That same year I published two classified papers on computational fluid dynamics, wrote several hundred pages of CFD source code that is now used under license by the Specialty Metals Processing Consortium, and presented my research at the semi-annual SMPC conference (comprised of Sandia, Kodak, Proctor and Gamble, Xerox, PPG, University of Texas, and others). I wasn't allowed to submit my work to Westinghouse, as all of it was either proprietary or classified.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

So, yeah, here are a my stats:

SAT: 1570 (780V 790M)
SAT IIs: 800 Physics, 800 MathIIc, 730 Writing, 780 Chemistry
APs: Comp Sci A (5), Bio (5), Physics (5), Chemistry (5), BC Calc (5), History (3), French Lang (4).
Top 20% at private HS (actually "only" #11 out of 96. I'm part of that 2% that didn't graduate top 10% of their school!)

So, academic stats were good, but nothing superb. Def enough to give them reason to read my application, but ECs were better than academics. In my opinion at least.

Eagle Scout. Means 7 years leadership training and experience, giving rise to essays and such. Also a huge amount of other various involments there.

Drama dork. A bunch of singing and acting stuff.

Fill in other normal stuff. No quiz bowl, science team, or other academic ECs.

Awesome interview (went 2 hours, talked wonderfully the entire time).

I liked the recs. I read them, and I think they're among the better ones.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page