Your honest guestimation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Your honest guestimation
By Brianso (Brianso) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

I'm applying to MIT under EA this year. Please give me a specific percent-chance of getting in (i dont care if it's a really really rough estimate, but please state so) THanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Here's my personal/academic profile:

Male, Chinese
Born in Hong Kong, moved 1994

Goes to extremely competitive public school in San Francisco, CA
School doesn't rank - but my guess is 6-7% of 600 per class.

SAT Scores: 660V/760M
SAT II Scores : 800 iic / 800 bio / 720 writing
Planning to take SAT I again, expected scores 700v/780m

GPA: 3.7 unweighted, 3.96 fafsa gpa
B-average in English (very hard english department) and B+ average in Latin (3 years)
Current Courses: AP Calculus AB, AP Physics, AP US/comparative Government, AP Econ, American Lit 1
Past AP's - US history, Bio, European history

Extra Curricular and Awards:
Agape Christian fellowship (school club, 2 years, one year as historian)
Tutoring and Guidance club (1 year as dual officer - treasurer and club representative)
California Scholarship Federation (4 semesters)
Governor's Scholars Award 2 years(cali award $1000 scholarship)
Named twice in a row in Who's Who Among American High School Students
GSE award (state) in Bio, Chem, Geometry
AP Scholar
Has a Microsoft Professional certification in Windows 2000
Completed in NASA SHARP Program - high school research intern program at NASA AMES research center (40 hour 8 weeks, paid, extrmeely competitive)

I'm applying to everywhere in Aerospace engineering (comments about my chances to UCLA helps too). I talked to my interviewer already and she says she's going to emphasize, in her report, on my diversity as an chinese american (she was shocked that i love listening to jazz, interested in political science, and has a social life unlike many other people in my school) and my objectivity (extremely obsessed with aerospace RESEARCH, thats why i took the NASA internship). I'm going to write about my love for listening (diverse genres) and playing music (piano and guitar) in my essay. My other short essay will be based on my passion for aerospace and how MIT suites me because I'm very research oriented and it has undergrad research programs and tons of laboratories. (O, im planning to write about where i come from for my main essay, and im probably gonna mention san franciscan diversity, competitive high school, and asian american family. is it good enough or is it too common?)

However, I know that I'm lacking a lot in my sat i score, courses, and my extra curricular stuff. I'm hoping that my sat ii score, objectivity, and nasa internship will pull me in. But, at the moment, I really doubt that I can get in. Please give me the percent chance. (o, if u can, please gimme the two digits for ucla too, thanks a bunch). I'll personally email and thank you for it if u want. =D

By Brianso (Brianso) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Bump. plz help !!!

By Binks (Binks) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

I will be truthful. Asian males do not have good chances at MIT at all, especially EA. Specifically, MIT already has a 28% asian rate right? Also, most of their applicants are males. So they don't need males, and they don't need asians, so asian male = bad. Moreover, because of this silly technicality, most of the asian males I've met who managed to get in have steller stats. I'm not saying that SAT's are the sole measure of an applicant or anything, but as I don't know much else about them, the range of which they got in were 1560 to 1590.

I really wish I could tell you otherwise, but that's the way I see it. :(

By Abyss (Abyss) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I happen to personally know an asian male who was flown into MIT for a comprehensive interview. It was his first choice and they clearly wanted him as well.
But let me tell you a little bit about my friend. He was absolutely incredible in math
(one of top internationally) but took lowest placement classes in english. He was also enrolled in graduate calculus courses at a nearby ivy league university- he was about 6 years ahead of us.
He didn't get accepted. Why? He underestimated the essay. He showed me what he wrote- it was a stream of emotions, sometimes degrading to the adcom. He would say "Are you still reading this? Just throw it out already and accept me into your Putman team."
He did get accepted to Cal Tech but decided to attend to closer university (also good) and finish double major in two years.
So.. MIT called him this year and told him that they made a mistake and if he applys as a transfer student, they will accept him.
Ok, so that's his story. My point? There is hope, and we are all human. AND MIT does accept asian kids.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

WOw who is this guy.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

do u think you know him? you might if you're involved in some of the major math competitions
i wont give his name out or anything, that's crossing a line of privacy:)

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

AHAHA! He insulted the adcom! He should have just submitted short and plain... something like how much math has changed his life (considering how stellar he is, he should've just played it safe)

That guy is very good but VERY arrogant! Then again, if he really is the top in the world, it's MIT's lost. Harvard has been winning the Putnam recently...

And that's NOT very encouraging :). That was a superstar student who could be accepted to almost any college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page