Dream...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Dream...
By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Hey guys, i have to make a big decision. MIT is my dream school, followed by cornell. Im not sure if I should apply ED for cornell, or hold out to see if MIT would accept me. Do I have any shot here, or should I apply ED to cornell?

660 m 740 v (takin it in oct again, math should go up a lot)

ap physics b, ap physics c, ap calc ab, ap chem, ap bio, ap us history, ap eco, ap english 11 and 12 (got a 4 on us hist, physics b, chem and english the rest im taking this year)

3 years webslingers (make website for all the clubs, we have a LOT in our huge hs)
5 years volunteering 15 hours a week at a childcare
secretary of french club, involved for 5 years
dancing outside of school since i was 5
student leadership course (extremely involved) 4 years

ranked 10/1182 94.6 unweighted av / 115 weighted

should have good recs and essays...btw im a white girl from ny

By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

help!

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Overall, nothing outstanding... SAT's are currently a bit low
But no one wants to stop you, because you never know what the adcoms are looking for at MIT. At least you're a girl... (but you're from NY (I think it's a popular state), caucasion, etc)

By Jymfour (Jymfour) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

I hate to be discouraging but the sad truth is that the SAT M(660) is not competitive for MIT. I got in with a 760...not considered a high score here. But, I did get a 5 in bc calc which probably helped. The rest of your app seems really good, but there's nothing there that would make the adcom overlook the SAT-M. It's a great place to go to school but mostly everything here is math based. If your really math based and want to try regular decision then retake the SAT,and if it goes well withdraw the ED app from Cornell....I think the timing works.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

the fact that you are a female should really help you, but I agree with Jymfour that you really need to get your math score up. If MIT is truly your dream school, don't do anything with Cornell that would lock you into going there without giving MIT a chance to make a decision.

By Mit007 (Mit007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

You need to start your Cornell application quickly.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page