AMC/AIME scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: AMC/AIME scores
By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Hi,

I did pretty poorly on my AMC/AIME scores.
I didn't make AIME freshman year (~104 on AMC 10)
Sophomore year I got just above the cutoff on AMC10 (~117) and 1 on AIME
This year I got about 116 on AMC 12 and 5 on AIME

Should I list these scores for MIT and Caltech? They're pretty crappy, and I'm not even sure I remember the AMC scores correctly. Will they care if my AMC scores are off by a bit? (maybe someone at my school has a record...)

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

Go ahead and list them. They're decent, although not stellar for MIT/CIT. They certainly won't hurt you. You're in the top 10% of people taking the AMC12, followed by top 10% of people taking the AIME. That comes out to be top 1% overall. Plus you showed some initiative even participating.

By Sac (Sac) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Texas 137, What do you think about just listing something like: "commended AMC-12 (10), AIME (11), without scores? My son doesn't remember his scores but knows they were not especially impressive. I'm assuming an adcom will know that just listing AIME means a student had to have done well enough on the AMC to get to the second level.
(He's not applying to MIT or CalTech, but is listing math and/or physics as possible majors)

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

>I'm assuming an adcom will know that just listing AIME means a student had to have done well enough on the AMC to get to the second level.

Seems like a reasonable assumption. Your son can look up his AMC-12 score if he wants it and doesn't remember it. The book summarizing results from the 2003 contests will be coming out in the next month or so. Every school which particpated will receive one.

I don't know that you actually need the score if he isn't applying to MIT/CIT. Those 2 are the only applications I've seen that actually have a place to put the scores (and I think it says "optional"). If he isn't applying to schools that ask about the scores, he could just list "AIME Qualifier" under honors and leave it at that.

By Sac (Sac) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

AIME qualifier -- I like that. Thanks.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

FYI,

I think you can write:
Certificate of Distinction (American Invitational Mathematics Examination qualifier), which could seem a bit more impressive.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Don't use the term "Certificate of Distinction" for the AMC10/12 unless he got around 119 or better. That's the cut-off for "Student Distinguished Honor Roll" awarded to the top 1%. Scores over 100 but not in the top 1% are "Student Honor Roll". Those scores still qualify for AIME, but it would be misleading to attach the word "distinction".

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

"Certificate of Distinction - Awarded to all students who qualify for the AIME"

"Honor Roll of Distinction Pin, AMC 12 - Given to the top 1% of AMC 12 participants"

"Honor Roll of Distinction Pin, AMC 10 - Given to the top 1% of AMC 10 participants"
-http://www.unl.edu/amc/d-publication/d4-awards/1012awards.html

All AMC 10'ers who get to AIME for sure earned the Honor Roll of Distinction pin (cutoff for AMC 10 is ~116?).

Quite confusing, really...

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Hmmm, it is confusing. Slightly different wording from the Summary of Results book.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Your 5 on the AIME is much better than your 116 on the AMC 12. Tell them at least about the five

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

In general, report INCREASING SCORES. Colleges like to see that your scores go up year after year. Report any AMC grade over 110, any AIME score 5 or above. My sophomore year of high school neither score went up, so I never bothered reporting either to any college. Only report the scores you're proud of (who knows, perhaps you never took them the other years...)

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

jimjunior what's better a 7 or a 129?

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Ummm, sorry to break your wordplay bubble, but the MIT application has a specific place to list your AMC and AIME scores. They ask when you took it and what your scores were.

And those scores are fine. I got in with a 102 and 1 one year, then a 112 and like a 4 Senior year, so they only saw that I got a 102 and a 1.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

A 7 is better than a 129. IMO a 7 shows very strong problem solving skills, while a 129 can be had by a student without great ability but with good spped and fundementals

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page