Does being a legacy matter?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Duke University: 2004 Archive: Does being a legacy matter?
By Liz on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 07:40 pm: Edit

I am a double legacy and live in NC - are my chances any better than the average Joe/Jane applying to Duke? I have decent grades and top 10%, good ECs, etc, etc.

By chas on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

your in, definately. Pack your bags and get yourself a plane ticket. Yeah baby!!!

By Ny25 (Ny25) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

What does Duke consider legacy? Do other relatives like uncles count? Also what do they consider first generation college student? If your parents never got more than an associates degree from a community college does that make you first gen college?

By Divingin (Divingin) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 04:05 am: Edit

on the application they DO ask if your uncles or relatives or whatevers went to duke ... so i'm assuming even if it's not a HUGE factor that at least they care enough to ask.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

according to a former duke admissions officer (rachel toor in "admissions confidential"), legacies only get preferential treatment if their parents or grandparents attended duke AND donated huge amounts of money (as in millions of dollars). it doesn't hurt mentioning that you're a legacy though.

By Dpop (Dpop) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Random Fact:
Duke is one of the few places that still considers a sibling a major plus. They call this sibling priviledge. Thanks sis!

By Kushm (Kushm) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

My friend got accepted to Duke, but he had two brothers attending/attended there.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page