Applying to UCLA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Applying to UCLA
By Catcher070 (Catcher070) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

I want to create a posting where people who are applying to UCLA can post their (preferably unweighted) gpa, sat I & II's, state of residency, and AP classes (completed or in progress). This way, we all have an idea about our competition for the select spots.

Out-of-state
3.74 GPA unweighted
SAT I: 1380
SAT II: 710 math iic, 710 physics, 650 writing
AP:
AB Calculus 5
BC Calculus (senior year)
Statistics (senior year)
Physics C (senior year)
Spanish Language (senior year)

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

shouldn't people put down their UC gpa since that's the one used by UCLA anyway?

In-state
UC gpa: 4.15
SAT I: Oct 04
SAT II: Nov 04
AP:
European History - 3
Statistics
Government/Economics

UCSD Summer Session Course:
Political Sci/Int'l Relations

EC's: writing(trying to get short story in progress pubished), fundraiser for hospital, children's museum volunteer, other volunteer, key club, amnesty, martial arts (all ec's 11-12) except lots of babysitting, 500hrs.+ in 9-10 and a little comm. service in 9,10

By Catcher070 (Catcher070) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

yes I realize about UC and their gpa, but I am not sure if UC recognizes all of the out of state honors courses anyway. that's why I wanted unweighted, but either is appropriate.

By Wrc08 (Wrc08) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

Catcher...I think you are really on the cusp...maybe a little short. The UC's (including LA) really like to number crunch and thus you should probably retake your sat2 writing. Also, you got a 5 on calc, so maybe you should also retake the SAT I (or not if your math composite score is good) or the SAT II Math IIc ...b/c you could probably get near 800. If you can improve your test scores just a little bit I think you have as good as a chance as anyone...Best of luck! And once again, this is only my opinion!

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

Oh ok I'm not sure which honors UC recoginzes out of state. My UW gpa for 10th and 11th is 3.85 I believe (I excluded 9th since I know it isn't counted in the UC process and it lowers my gpa :)

By Catcher070 (Catcher070) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

wrc08, thanks for your advice, i am already registered to retake the sat ii's. my sat I math was 730 (in my highest single sitting)

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

hey guys, i go to ucla. just wanted to let u know that if u scored over 680 on the sat2 writing, you get to place out of some basic english course, so that should save you some money. so boost your score up, not only will it help on admissions but also on saving money if u get in.

catcher: your sat2's are okay, but u have a strong courseload, the unweighted gpa wouldnt seem to stand out if it were weighted, and your sat1 score is typical but it wouldnt even make honors at ucla (need 1390). youll prolly need some extra boosts from service, leadership, extracurriculars, awards, essay, etc. i got in with a lower sat1 score, but just to be on the safe side you know? good luck!

moonsurfer: good gpa but i hope u didnt procrastinate on your sats. hopefully u have leadership in your extracurriculars, because doing a lil bit of everything isnt as good as dedication in something. but u have a good mix of EC's, youll only get to list 5 on the uc app tho. good sat score and good essay should provide u with big boost so good luck on that.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:20 am: Edit

What Kfc4u just mentioned is the Subject A requirement on English proficiency.

http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/Top10/FR_After.htm

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

Kfc4u: I didn't procrastinate on the SATs, I moved during the time I was supposed to take them and so had to change the dates to fall. But I've been doing prep work this summer and will in the early fall to be prepared. If something does happen I'll retake in Dec. I'm also taking the ACT 2x this fall. So between that, a shot at the SAT and SAT II and a chance to retake one or the other I should be in good shape.

My EC's were also effected by moving (it was hard to continue the exact same activity in another place, except for maybe a few clubs) The main thing I try to show leadership in is my volunteer work- ex. organizing a fundraiser, helping kids at the museum and with presentations, etc. Another example is I did karate last year and then moved this summer to CA and there wasn't a similair type of karate studio, but there was a cardio kickboxing place so I switched to that.

Hopefully colleges will understand, but in case your wondering, I'm considering UCLA a major reach anyway so it's not like I'm expecting to get in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page