Williams Early Decision

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Williams Early Decision
By Hopemanjkjk (Hopemanjkjk) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Hello.. I am an international student from Korea, who is currently Residing in Texas. Here are my stats

SAT I (plan to retake for higher grade)
Math: 800
Verbal:740 (good chance of improving this october)

SAT II
Korean : 800
Math IIC : 800
Chemistry : 800
Writing : planning to take expecting 750~800

Highschool (Suburb Austin)
GPA : 3.92/4.00 5.45/6.00(weighted)

Courses

Junior

Ap eng III
Ap Us History

Senior

AP Bio
AP Chem
AP Eng
AP Stat
Ap Calc
AP Gov
AP Eco

AP scores : Not disclosed ( I don't like 4's I got)

Extra Curricular:

UIL Math Team Captain (been in there 4 years)
Various Math Awards from Interdistrict Competitions (lots of 1st and 2nd)
Chosen By Austin Rotary to attend Camp Enterprise
Engineering club Secretary
Texas Alliance of Minority Engineers Secretary
Church Praise Team (Keyboard/Piano) 3 years
Piano 4 years ( hopefully will win some awards. My teacher is very famous in the nation and she will write me a stellar recommendation. Started with her last summer)
Dallas Innercity Mission Trip (7 days)
Teacher's Assistant in Elementary and Middleschool Kids for Summer school. Taught English + Math (Volunteer) (200+ hours)
Various Community service (50+ hours)
Hospital Volunteer (30+hours)

Work Experience
I cannot work since my visa (F-2) doesn't permit to do so

Unofficial Work Exp.
Tutor - Worked Freshman~Senior
Taught various subjects - TOEFL, SAT I Math, PreCal, Physics, Algebra II (taught about 9 kids)
Love Computer - Work as computer technician. (Built about 12 computers. Fixed countlessly many)

Stellar Recommendations expected. I heard Williams is Hard to get into.. Do I have chance?
Will Early Decision significantly improve my chance of being accepted?

Although My statistic shows that my english skill is descent, it is not in anyway proficient. So I am looking for a college with good English department. How is the english department at williams?

I cannot attend colleges without financial aid.. Are there any other colleges I might have chance of getting into?

Williams College is not famous around here... Although I can careless about the prestige of college, My parents still want to know the academic level of the college. Is it better than Johns Hopkins or Rice?

I am worried... is williams hard to get into if you are an international? Rice I already told me that I can't attend unless I demonstrate my ability to pay... Are all good colleges like that?

By Deerhunter (Deerhunter) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Williams is extremely well know, and extremely rigorous...only Swarthmore, I would say, is more trying (yes, more rigorous than the Ivies)

You obviously have a "chance." A better question is WHAT are you chances (name of this forum); and yes, you have, I would guess, at least a 50-50 shot, ED.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

I think you might not want to pursue English, english at universities is about reading and analyzing works of literature, not actually learning the language. Writing classes exist and may be helpful to you.

I think you have a great shot, and I wouldnt retake the SAT with a 1540. Why Williams by the way?

By Hopemanjkjk (Hopemanjkjk) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

thank you for all the inputs.. I am not going to pursue English by the way. I just wanted to learn some writing and reading skills that I can't learn in highschool. What can I do to increase my chance?

By Hopemanjkjk (Hopemanjkjk) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

I like williams because they do not discriminate internationals ( in some colleges, its harder for internationals to get in compared to the citizens of US) and the fact that they provide need-based aid to them ( Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT do provide aids, but they seem like far-reach schools to me).

By Sodfather (Sodfather) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I'm sorry if this is rude, but how in the hell did you score a 740 on your verbal? Your English is astoundingly-proficient for a foreigner, but not nearly good enough to score a 740!

Don't expect too high of a score on the SAT II Writing--I'd imagine it's your weak area: grammar.

By Hopemanjkjk (Hopemanjkjk) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

HAHA yes. That's what I realized.. Bad english, yet good scores. I took REal SAT II for writing and I got near perfect for the multiple choice part (I don't know how I will do on essays, but I got constant 7's on AP English essays). I seem to remember all the vocabs and grammar rules, but just can't think fast enough to apply them in real-time English. If there are any international students who can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page