Transfer chances at selective schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Transfer chances at selective schools
By Northrams (Northrams) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Id appreciate any guidance anyone can give me regarding my chances for transfer to the following schools:
Harvard; Yale; Columbia; UPenn; Brown; Georgetown SFS; Duke; Stanford; Cornell

community college, honors program
SAT: 1530 (800 verbal, 730 math)
College GPA: 3.95ish

College EC's:
-Phi Theta Kappa, President
-Speech Honor Society, President
-College Republicans, Founder & President
-Student Government, Freshman and Sophomore Senator (Likely VP)

College Honors:
-Phi Sigma Omicron, honor society at my college
-Outstanding Presenter, Beacon conference, for paper on "Marx's and Rousseau's Views on Inequality"
-Outstanding Student Service award
-3rd Place, school speech competition

HS GPA was 3.78, I wont get into HS EC's and awards, but they are on par with or better than my college EC's and honors. Thanks in advance for the input.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I don't know anything about transfers at those schools, but don't they only look at your college work when you transfer, they don't look at your high school stuff, which in my opinion is very impressive and should have applied right outa high school.

Uhm I do know that at least at USC(even though your probably not considering it) tranfer acceptance rate for a person with a 3.5 college gpa is around 70 percent, and you don't even need to have the whole package of EC's, I know this because I called and asked, you only need to have at least 30 transferable units completed, but with the fact taht your involved besides with community college, only shows that you have a greater chance at usc to be one of the 70 percent admitted.

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

penn, duke, brown, georgetown, and cornell look good, hys is very difficult, its hard to say

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

I transferred this year to Cornell Arts.

I have the same stats as you (1520, etc, etc). Transfer admissions is MUCH harder than regular admissions.

Harvard and Yale both accept in the 5-6% range

Columbia didn't publish its real figures so I don't know

Upenn, Brown, Cornell and Duke are all in the mid teens acceptance rate (Assuming you're going for an endowed college at Cornell).

I don't remember anything about Stanford's rate and I don't know anything about Georgetown's either.

My advice to you: Don't worry about the acceptance rates. NAIL the essay. Show these colleges why it HAS to be their college or bust. Show them that you want to be there. That is the only way you can distinuish yourself from people with the same excellent stats as you.

Best of luck!

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Also, with a little luck, and the correct approach you should land an acceptance at one or likely more of those schools.

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

And liek, they do look at your high school work.

By Northrams (Northrams) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page