Chances for UCs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances for UCs?
By Xmj69x (Xmj69x) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

HI,

im gonna be applying to basically all the UCs..can somebody help me see what are my chances for them?(ucb,ucla,ucsd,ucsb,uci,etc)

also, i live in california

my stats:
satI=1370
satII=790(iic) ; 690(chem); 650(writing)
gpa: UW=3.8 ; W=4.3
decent ECs: volunteer quite a bit here in there,including hospital.; leadership at church for past 4yrs, trips to mexico to help people(trip taken twice, each 1 wk long), played piano for 7 yrs; etc, etc, etc.

thanks to anyone who can give me some help

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

all uc's excluding ucb and ucla you'll probably get into because they will be match/safeties

as for ucb and ucla, i thinks its random, if anyone tells you, your gonna be a reject or that your going to get in, you shouldn't take the advice to seriously because even if you had higer sat's that doesn't guarantee you an acceptance at ucla or ucb, plenty of people with 1400+ get rejected.

however, i would also recommend into cal poly sna luis obispo just because if your applying to ucsb, your better off at cal poly because I think it's more reputable and cheaper!

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

have you figured out your UC gpa? It looks like you're in at all the lower/middle UC's. San Diego is probably a match/slight reach and UCB and UCLA are reaches but definitly go for it! Everything looks good so good luck!

By Xmj69x (Xmj69x) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

yea..isn't weighted = UC gpa?
cuz then mine would be 4.3 , just as i mentioned above.

so ucla and ucb will be reaches? or would i might have a reasonable chance?

also, i have taken almost all the possible APs that my high school offers:
(including this senior yr's APs)

ap calc bc
ap us history
ap chemistry
ap government
ap computer science
ap biology

not only these classes, i've taken classes at a local community college.

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

I think you have a really good shot. Look at the UC website for more information on the UC gpa...it excludes 9th grade and gives extra weight to honors/ap/ib courses taken in 10th and 11th grades. It also only uses the "a-g" courses in the gpa. But I would imagine that your weighted gpa is close to your UC gpa which means you have a great shot at all the UCs

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

the uc gpa, isn't what your weighted gpa would be, your uc gpa is only calculated from 10th and 11th grade, and the classes that fulfill the a-g requierements, and then you add one point for every a b or c grade you got in an AP or honors class that UC considers to be eligible, you can only count 8 semesters which is equal to 4-1year long classes, worth of ap or honor classes. So eventually if you've taken more than 4 honors/AP classes that are used to fulfill a-g requierement, you can only weight 4 classes. say you've taken a total of 6 ap/honor classes in 10th and 11th, you can only weight 4 for your uc gpa. which basically makes a cut off.
but like moonsurfer said your weighted gpa and uc gpa should be around the same thing, it's not possible for a person's uc gpa to be bigger than their wieghted. mine is the same!

By Xmj69x (Xmj69x) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:46 am: Edit

liek0806..thanks for the explanation..

so could anybody tell me my chance for the upper UC's? like UCB and UCLA

so using liek's explanation to calculate gpa..my UC gpa is about 4.2

if anybody could tell me my chances...it would be really helpful

thanks

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

Xmj69x:

UCLA: Slight Reach
UCB: Slight Reach
UCSD: Safe Match
UCSB: Safety
UCD: Safety
UCI: Safety
UCSC: Super Safety
UCR: Super Safety

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

its hard to call for the upper UC's, your stats are respectable, but they dont really stand out. if u want a comparison, i got into berk and LA with a lil lower sat score, but i also had a huge load of ECs and leadership. i suggest boost your sat 2 writing... also write good essays on the app. a higher sat1 score would help, because a 1370 is typical and your ECs dont give u a huge boost. but rather trying to boost so many ECs, just concentrate on trying to boost your sat1. you should be good for the rest of the UC's, but like someone else said, theres no guarantee at berkeley and LA, so all i can say is go for it and good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page