Looking at the UC's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Looking at the UC's
By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I know it's hard to determine without SAT/ACT/SAT II scores but here's what I have so far. My EC's were greatly effected by attending 3 different high schools (family moves); 9th and 10th grade in MA, 11th grade in NM, 12th grade in CA (which means I'm in-state for UC schools. I believe I calculated by UC gpa correctly but I'm not 100% sure and I'm also not sure of my class rank yet.
I'm also applying to:
University of San Francisco
University of San Diego
Santa Clara University (Legacy)

http://prstats.com/2009/display.php?user=sweetlifegirl19

Let me know what you guys think in terms of reach/match/safety! Thanks so much

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

any feedback?

By Mayermatthews (Mayermatthews) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

UCLA - reach
UCB - reach
UCSD - match
UCD - match/safety
UCSB - match/safety
UCI - safety

And I think you will probably do really well on your SATs so that could help w/ LA & Berkeley, but they're both really unpredictable anyway. Looks like you have a good list, what are your first choices?

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

thanks for the response mayermatthews! Wow that's better than I thought I stood, actually. I honestly am not sure about my first choice since I haven't really seen all the campuses yet. I've been at UCSD this summer during my class and loved it so I know I would be happy there.
Actually I do have a question though; when calculating the UC gpa do you add an extra point for honors classes in 10th and 11th grade (not AP or IB just honors) because I wasn't sure about that. Thanks!

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Moonsurfer21:

UCLA: Slight Reach (assuming 1350-1450 SAT I)
UCB: Slight Reach (assuming 1350-1450 SAT I)
UCSD: Match (assuming 1350-1450 SAT I)
UCSB: Safety
UCD: Safety
UCI: Safety

USF: Safety
USD: Safety
Santa Clara: Safety

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

thanks for the comments flopsy. i will definitly focus on making sure I score well on the SAT/SAT II. anyone else have any comments?

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

does anyone know which/if any of these schools I might get any financial aid as well?

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

UCSD has been offering a lot of generous financial aid packages recently. santa clara, like many small privates, want to attract overqualified students to their campus, so it may offer some money. dont look for too much money elsewhere, especially in the UC system with all their budget cuts. its hard to get good financial aid packages at berkeley or ucla, but since they have bigger endowments, they can offer some scholarships. but as far as financial aid goes, most schools try to make it possible for you to attend. if youre talking about scholarships, then thats different...

youre on track to get into all of your schools, but your gpa will really determine where to place you. good list of extracurriculars, although youll only be able to list 5 of them on the UC app. good luck!

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

Thanks so much for the reponse! Yeah I wasn't expecting to get much money out of the UC system, but I'll see what happens come spring :) I can still attend without aid so it's not that important, I was just wondering.
Anyone else have any comments on my list?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page