Realistic chances at Princeton ED, H Y and M ED?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Realistic chances at Princeton ED, H Y and M ED?
By Mehere (Mehere) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Here are my stats:
please give your candid opinion.

Thanks

----- Standarize test scores, etc-------

SAT 1 - to be taken in oct
sat 2 - writing : 740, physics : 780, math 2c and chemistry : 800

AP World History - 4
5's on ap physics B, calc bc (self studied bc portion, took ab at school), physics c mec (self study), and chemistry

By grad, i would have taken (12 ap courses) all of the AP courses at my school EXCEPT for AP Psychology and MAYBE ap bio if i have schedule conflict.

GPA - 1 B, the rest all As for 10th and 11th grade. In 9th grade, didnt do well well, As Bs and Cs.
School doesn't rank. but for 10th & 11th, top 1% of class, overall, probably top 3%.
(Princeton doesnt look at 9th grade)

Desired Major: Physics / Math / Engineering

--------- ENTIRE EC LIST------------

----Science Contests and Activities------

-Leonardo Da Vinci Physics Contest:
· Da Vinci Scholar of Canada
-Chem 13 Contest:
· Top 1% (National).
-Math and Science Club
· President (12), executive (11),
· Coached 6th & 7th graders in Gauss Math Contest
· Peer tutored students in Math and Science (Gr. 8 to AP)
-Physic Olympics
· 4th place (Provincial) in individual event at the University of British Columbia Physics Olympics 2004

--------Math Contests and Activities --------
-AMC 12
· Score: 119.5
-Euclid Math Contest
· Top 1% (National).
-Fermat Math Contest
· Top 1% (National).
-Cayley Math Contest
· Top 1% (National).
-Canadian Mathematics Society Invitational
· 1st place in junior category (Provincial)
-Pascal Math Contest
· Top 1% (National).
-Math Contest Club
· Founding member. Lecturer on Contest Topics.
· President (12), executive (11).

----------------Clubs----------------------

-SAT Club
· President
-Global Business Competition Challenge
· Team Captain (12).
· 1st (Provincial) (Highest Retained Earning) in online competition 2003
· 4th place (Provincial) face-to-face challenge 2003
· Top 256 (5%) (International) in 2002 Global Competition
-School Reach Trivia Club
· Quarter Finalist at 2003 Provincial tournament (Junior Level)
· 3rd place at 2002 Provincial tournament (Junior Level)
-Debating and Public Speaking
· Top 30 in Western Canada at 2003 UBC debating tournament, senior level, parliamentary impromptu style
· Cross-examination style (9,10), school representative at regional competition
-Grade Student Council Member
-School Musical Orchestra
· Clarinet Soloist

-------------Athletics--------------

-Swim Team
· Breaststroke & freestyle
· 1st (200 Medley) and 2nd (50 breast) place finishes at 2003 regional swim meet
· 1st (50 breast) and two 2nd (200 Medley & 200 Mixed Medley) place finishes at 2002 regional swim meet
· 12th, 13th, and 15th place finishes at 2003 Provincial swim meet
· 17th, 18th and 19th place finishes at 2002 Provincial swim meet
· Provincial Championship Team B3 (2001, 2002), 5th place (2003)
-Table Tennis Team
· Silver Medallist at 2004 Provincial Tournament
· 10th place at 2002 Provincial Tournament

---------------Summer Experiences------------

-Summer Institute for Mathematics at the University of Washington (2004)
· 6 week. 24 participants from Canada and USA
-Dynamo Swim Club (2003)
· 6 week of training
-CMS camp at Simon Fraser University (2002)
· school rep

Employment - just little things.

Independently studied:
· Math 10 (Third Year HS Math) in 8th grade & Second semester Calculus this year.
· Linear Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, and Multivariable Calculus.

Private Art Lessons
· will send in slides.
Private Music study.
· Accordion, synthesizer, and clarinet.

---------------------------

average essay, maybe one good rec, the rest average.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

sorry, meant H Y and M RD

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

You are looking good, Mehere. But so do most of the the thousands who apply to Princeton. Take a peek at the Chuck Hughes' book, "What It Really Takes to Get into the Ivy League" to get a good idea about your competition. By all means apply ED to Princeton if it is your first choice as you are certainly in the running but though it will give you better odds of acceptance--last year they took 30% ED, I would also be looking for some safety school and some matches.

Math seems to be a forte for you and Princeton does love its math and physics majors, so do emphasize the interest. Peruse their online catalogue and see what opportunities they can offer you in that area. That may be a good selling point for you.

Though you look solid for the SAT1s, it is difficult to even come up with a list of schools for you without that number as it is an important component of the app process, whether we like it or not. Until those figures come in, it is really up in the air. But you do realize that all of your current choices are lottery tickets and you need some schools that are more realistic in your basket..I have known kids with your current stats and perfect SAT1 rejected from everyone of those schools.

The swimming is a good EC but you need not go into as much detail with it except for at M as the ivies have D-1 swim teams with H and P having national level swimmers. Unless your times make you a contributing athlete on the team, swimming will be an EC for you. For M, check the athletic site and see if you are competitive there. MIT is looking for kids that show other interests and with your strong math interests and abilities and an athletic hook, you can look mighty good to them.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

O yes, i will definitely apply to other schools:
Dartmouth, PENN, Cornell, Columbia, Williams, U chicago, Brown, Caltech, Amherst, and maybe Georgetown. H Y M and P all are my reach schools.

Jamimom,

I am debating whether to apply ED to princeton or not, as it does give me an edge applying ED. And i am not concerned with the campus, atmosphere, etc. as much as i am with it's academic flexibility and oppurtunities for undergrad to participate in research, so that I can broaden my vision in terms of potential areas of math and physics that i can go into. I also want to get the best well rounded education i possibly could, so i can be well prepared for graduate school.
Even though Princeton is my first choice for now, it is not clearly my first. However, if i were to apply to an EA school such as Yale and Harvard (not mit cause i'm intl), then i might give up my best shot at Princeton and end up not getting into any of the reach schools.

From your experience, which of the 4 schools is most well known for giving a well rounded education, but also a strong Math and Physics department, while the undergradutes receive abundant oppurtunities to explore.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, but what do you mean by 'Peruse their online catalogue and see what opportunities they can offer you in that area.'

I have been visiting princeton's site, reading it's academic profile, and doing reserach on the school. But what exactly is the online catalogue?

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

bump

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

sorry, double post.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Your schools are all reaches for anyone and by applying to so many of them it is going to be difficult for you to show alot of demonstrated interest as I assume you have a tough curriculum senior year, need to take the SAT1s, there will alumni interviews on each of those schools and you need to write some personal essays. I would suggest you cut some of your reach for the stars choices down and add some safety schools, at least one.

ED or single choice EA are for kids who are certain which school they want and they need to be sure of it. The question will certainly come up in the interview. You cannot show any doubt that the school is your first choice and you need to know it well. You are interested in the top schools in the country, and getting in is going to be lottery ticket. I think you will have great opportunities at any of the schools but if you swim and can swim D3 which you may be able to do your chances are best at MIT and UCh. You are still not a shoo in for any of the schools. Realistically these schools are reaches for everyone. Find some school that will take you that you like, that provides the subjects of interest, a state school that is stats driven may be a good safety choice. Every year I see many kids like you stuck without a choice because they did not plan for the worst which is that you don't get into any of these very selective schools. The laws of math do not work when you are dealing with selective adcoms and you will not necessarily raise your chances by the number of schools where you apply. And you better have some interest in the environment of the schools for when you talk to the adcoms or alum. Your attitude is really not what they want to hear. They want someone who has thoroughly examined the school and have found things they like about the social life, campus , things outside of the academics which go without saying are the best you can get. General remarks about that are a given.

Other than GT, I believe all of the schools are easier to get into Early rather than Regular decision. Though last year Yale's spread was less between Early and Reg, there is no guarantee this would happen this year as it was unexpected and believed to result from the switch from ED to SCEA. They did accept nearly the same number as they always do early, but it was a smaller % of the large number of kids who applied early. Who knows what will happen this year, especially with early programs under attack and scrutiny.

Most colleges have a catalogue of courses offered at the school and it is usually online or you can pick one up at the bookstore or in admissions when you visit the school. You should peruse the offerings as you want to personalize your apps so that the adcoms can see you there.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

I am trying to find out which other schools also offer need blind towards Canadians. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By Hopemanjkjk (Hopemanjkjk) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Williams, Middlebury all offers Need-blind international scholarship. I also think that Duke gives need-blind to canadians.. (Not sure)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page