Shot at Top + UCs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Shot at Top + UCs?
By Naventus (Naventus) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Here are my stats:
Asian Male California public school
1550 SAT (780M 770V)
800 Math 2C
800 Physics
800 US History
780 Writing

4.0 Unweighted
CS AB 5
Physics C 5/5
Calc BC 5
US history AP 5

CSF Vice President- 2 years in club
NHS- 2 years
Found Philosophy Club- 3 years
Stanford Liver Center Intern (working rt now)
Synopsys Science Faire participant
Siemens Westinghouse project (working on rt now)
NASA Ames Nanotech intern (working rt now)
Future Business Leaders of America (VP) 4 years
Partnership with Business project (4 years)

Awards:
1st place Nation Entreprenuership
1st place Nation Partnership with Business
3rd place Nation C++
Bunch of smaller awards
MIT Club of Northern California Leadership Award

Schools:
1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Harvard
4. UCs (Berkerly, LA, SD, ?Davis?)
5. Cornell
6. Northwestern
7. UPenn
8. Yale

I want to major EE into MBA. My essay will stress some of that concept. Thoughts?

By Baghdadbob (Baghdadbob) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Just out of curiosity, which school is your top choice right now? Also, do you plan on applying to any school early? In all honesty, I don't even know why you are on this message board, you know you are probably going to get in to nearly every school you apply to. With certain schools on your list it involves a little luck too, which is why I say "nearly every school." In reality, if your essays suck and don't reveal something about you that will open another dimension to the adcoms your chances are going to significantly drop.

By Naventus (Naventus) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

I absolutely don't know. I don't feel that I have the same crazy stats as so many other people because lots of people have insane amounts of EC. There's probably like 2-3 I did not list that I would list on my apps, but personally feel are somewhat insignificant. I would love to go to MIT and that's really where I'm gunning for right now.

HOWEVER, I personally expect to probably be able to only make it to Berkeley, which I would be completely fine and happy with. Of course, after having done all that work, I might as well shoot for those reach schools. How does the lack of say athletics (I play tennis avidly, just not a team) affect me? Just in case you were curious the other ECs were robotics and nanobioconvergence forums volunteering.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Naventus:

MIT: Slight Reach
Stanford: Slight Reach
Harvard: Slight Reach
Yale: Slight Reach
Cornell: Match
UCB: Match (for EECS), otherwise Safe Match
Northwestern: Safe Match
UPenn: Safe Match
UCLA: Safe Match
UCSD: Safety
UCD: Safety

By Naventus (Naventus) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

Just out of curiosity what makes me a closer match to UPenn as opposed to MIT/Harvard (though I'm not too interested in harvard)? Isn't UPenn just as competetive?

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

No, UPenn is significantly easier to get in than MIT/Harvard except for Wharton.

By Baghdadbob (Baghdadbob) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

"UPenn: Safe Match
UCLA: Safe Match"

Flopsy, UPenn and UCLA are not equals, I know it may sounds crazy but the University of Pennsylvania isn't a state school.

Also Cornell has a higher acceptance rate than UPenn does, so I don't see how UPenn is a safe match, while Cornell is a match.

Naventus, if you are applying to Wharton it is a whole other story as Rtkysg stated. I also think with the increase in ranking in US News may actually increase the number of applicants to UPenn this year, making it more difficult to get in, but still nonetheless Penn accepts more students than MIT or Harvard because it has more spots.

If you are interested in business, which is what your awards kind of show I would recommend doing Wharton early decision.

Last thought: We are family friends with a Harvard admissions officer and he said that putting a lot of ecs is not as good as having a few in-depth ones. I'd recommend leaving out some of your ecs, I know it can be hard sometimes, but if it isn't really imporant you should leave it out.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page