UNC-CH Out of State Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: UNC-CH Out of State Chances
By Irish200 (Irish200) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Could Someone please evaluate my chances?

OUT OF STATE- ohio

ACT: 31
SAT: 740 MATH 600 V <---TAKING IN OCT. MY PROBLEM IS THE READING
GPA: 3.97 UW 4.228 W
APs: APUSH GOV STATS CALC
MANY HONORS COURSES
my senior year is loaded on math

Prosepective Major: Business (hence the math)

Class President
Student Govt 4 yrs
Cross Country 4 yrs
Track 4 yrs
Tenn Insititute-antidrug
Fellowship of Christian Athletes
NHS
Young Life (Christian)
Interact- community service
Employed- 8-30 hrs wk

By Anovice (Anovice) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

My friend applied with a 1390 and a tougher courseload than you(ie more APs) and she did not get in. Has many extracurriculars like yours (class pres, two varsity sports all four years, nhs, employed, etc). She was interested in premed and was not even waitlisted. Just FYI.

By Mradio (Mradio) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Out of state admissions to Carolina are extremely competitive considering that about 82% of the people that they accept are in-state. I'd say its a match/reach for you. Applying to Carolina out of state is almost like applying to the Ivies.

By Iamqueena (Iamqueena) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

UNC anything is hard because they have to make over 80% of their class from NC by state law.

By Dk92487 (Dk92487) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

is the same true for UCONN? or is it easier for an out of stater?

By Prophecy (Prophecy) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Uconn is not nearly as tough. Probably to the point where you can't even compare unc-ch to Uconn. Uconn isn't even close to being a Tier I school while UNC is a Top 25. Even though the state of Connecticut has given Uconn 5 billion dollars I still don't think it will ever break the Top 50 and definetely not Top 25.

By Dk92487 (Dk92487) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

what im wondering is (although UCONN may not be as good a school as UNC) is it still tough for out of staters to be admitted. because i heard they also had a 80% Conn. to 20% out of state admission i think.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

UConn is not as tough on out of staters as UNC Chapel Hill. You are not out of the picture at UNC but my friend's daughter was denied instate with your stats two years ago. The kids I know who get into UNC CH have stats akin to those applying to ivies unless they are legacies or have some other hook.

UConn may have an 80/20 in/out of state ratio, but that is not how their admissions numbers go. They do not get as many out of state app as UVa, UNC, UMich and few other state schools tend to get. Your stats are good for an in there. Also Penn State, U Del, UMd would welcome your app--most state schools would. Its just the above mentioned few that have very high out of state cutoffs.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page