Chances at BA/MD programs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at BA/MD programs?
By Grad05 (Grad05) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Hi I am a rising senior and was hoping someone could help me out. Please evaluate my chances. Any feedback or suggestions will be appreciated.

SAT1: 1450(one sitting)/1510(composite) I think most programs that I'm applying to take the composite score(if anyone knows for sure please let me know).
SAT2:
Chemistry: 790
Math2C: 800
Writing: 740(may retake)

AP:
Eng/Lang: 5
US History: 5
Chemistry: 5
Physics: 5
Calculus AB: 5

GPA: Weighted 4.4(9-12) 4.6(10-12)
Unweighted 4.0(9-12) (on 4.0 scale)
Rank: not sure exactly, but easily top 1% out of about 500 students.

Senior classes:
AP Bio
Economics(1st sem)/AP Gov(2nd sem)
Stats (at community college)
Humanities
Art (required for graduation and UC's)

EC's:
-math club-4yrs (president)
-science club-4yrs(president)
-CSF-3yrs (President)
-founded local Indian youth and cultural group (perform cultural plays, dances, speeches etc.)
-varsity tennis 4yrs/ captain 2 yrs
-played piano for ten years
-astronomy club-4yrs
-environmental club-4yrs
-math tutor
-spirit club-2 yrs(sponsor school events and stuff)

-Massive amounts of volunteering at hospital and cancer center(dont know how many hours though).
-Have worked in doctors' offices as well.
-Went to India for a summer, and volunteered with my uncle in rural clinics.

Can someone please tell me my chances at the following ba/md programs( will it hurt my chances if they take the 1450 instead of the 1510?):

George Washington
Rice/Baylor
Case Western
USC
Union/AMC
Rochester
Brown PLME
UMKC
IIT

Sorry for the long post. Any response will be appreciated. Thanks

By Grad05 (Grad05) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

anybody???

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Did you look at Northwestern's HPME?

By Grad05 (Grad05) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Yeah I did, but it seems like an impossible reach for me.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

Apply! You have just as good a chance as anybody!

By Ort30 (Ort30) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Most people who get into these BA/MD programs have 9+ AP classes. They have high SAT scores, but I think that the admissions people select them because they already have exemption from many classes. Why do you want to get into a BA/MD program? Why do you want to go into medicine?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

You are certainly in the running for a program but they are very, very selective, as you probably know. I have seen kids accepted at HPY and not get into a single one of those programs. Two kids I know well got close to perfect in SATs1 and 2, had many APs, came from top private schools. One did get into the Northern Ohio program and went to Youngstown for undergrad, the only program to accept her, the other ended up at Harvard, rejected at his 13 attempts for a program. He was accepted to the BA part of the programs, all of them, but only made interviews on 4 of the med schools and was turned down. He is now at med school after graduating from Harvard. The young lady who did get into a program, quit halfway through it and transfered to some other college. It was a tough go for her as her family was very disappointed.

It will, of course hurt you if they do not take the composite scores, anything will hurt as the selectivity is very high. You do have a good list but make sure that the undergrad portion of the combos are schools you like in case you get in undergrad but not med, or you have to add a few schools just for undergrad as well. It does not harm to try if that is what you want, but it is a very tough go. I don't think Northwestern is any more difficult than Brown, Case and a few others you have on your list. They are the top programs. What is nice about NW is that the school is a good pick if you don't get into the med part but do get into the undergrad.

Other than IIT and USC between those two kids, all of the schools on the list was on theirs. Check out the Medical School topic on the forum and get some idea who is getting in with what stats if you have not done so already. There is a section devoted to BA/MD programs.

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

The toughest admits on your list are Rice/Baylor and Case, partly because of the quality of their med schools and partly because they accept so few students in their programs. Jamimom's advise to pick a school with a great undergrad program is on the money. Case, Rice, NW and Brown have superb undergraduate programs across the board. All will provide you with an excellent background for med school, even if you are not admitted as a BA/BS/MD. Speaking of money, check out the total cost, including med school. If you have over 1500 and top 5%, Case will give you substantial merit money. The tuition at Rice is about 10k less than at comparable schools, and if you establish Texas residency Baylor Med is a steal. Your experience in rural clinics in India will help in all programs, particularly Brown and Rice/Baylor, which take the service component very seriously. Your SAT 2 scores in chem and math and your AP scores should make you very competitive, notwithstanding the composite issue.

By Grad05 (Grad05) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone for their responses. They really helped a lot. If anyone has any more comments, please don't hesitate. Thanks again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page