Could I get into Harvard???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Could I get into Harvard???
By Smartblond (Smartblond) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I really dont have a whole lot of stats now cuz I'm only a rising junior, but here's what I do have...

GPA: ~4.3 (will be higher b/c IB is about a 5.5)
SAT: 1170

I will be going for, and hopefully receiving an IB Diploma. I am active in community service. I am a leader. I was president/captain of our robotics team, project coordinator for roots & shoots (a community service organization), webcasting crew member, stage manager for local production of the musical "Grease", cover design artist for my school's premier yearbook (we're a new school), and now I'm creating a Key club at our school.

I'll probably take Biology, French, and Math for my SAT II's.

I want to major in Biology, and get my Medical degree from Harvard.

Oh, and i have a question... what if I do get admitted, but dont have the money to pay for it??? Will they help me?

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

i'd say unless your gpa jumpes 300 points (i don't know how they do IB grades) you have a pretty poor chance, if money is an issue, you'll probably have to take out loans, have grants,

By Mhawk177 (Mhawk177) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Realistically? proabably not... the 1170 REALLY hurts you... no amount of service or GPA could make up for that.

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I have never heard of anyone with a score that low get into a top school, thats not to say that it doesnt happen...take a prep-course or something, and if you dont have the money for it, you can buy self-teach prep-courses for like $40 which have all the vocab and techniques.

Im an IB diploma candidate as well, but unfortunately most schools dont recognize how rigorous the program actually is, so dont rely on that to get into somewhere like Harvard.

Oh, and if you want to go to Harvard med school, I would suggest going to a mid-level college so that you can inflate your GPA because that and your MCAT scores are "all" that matter for med school, and I can assure you you arent going to be at the top of your class at Harvard.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

GPA, MCAT and teacher rec's all matter for med admits - and the recommendations may be easier to come by at a LAC or uni where you are not competing with grad students for professor's time.

Your IB courseload and EC's are all very good. However, Harvard is incredibly competitive, and you would probably want at least another 250 points (not impossible, btw) of SAT to bother applying - unless you have some major kind of hook. If you start looking for schools that are good matches with your current stats, - they will become your safeties if you can raise your SAT's.

By Ort30 (Ort30) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

The lowest SAT score for Harvard is a 1250.

By Mcz (Mcz) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Your SAT score is just above the national average. Most people who are accepted at Harvard have over 1500. Your ECs really aren't that good at all. Do something to stand out. Retake the SAT, too.

By Daisyheadmayzie (Daisyheadmayzie) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

You're GPA is great and your ECs are good, but that SAT is just TOO low. If you can get it to at least a 1500, then you'll be a competitive applicant.

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

With all those good extra things and such a high GPA, how in the world did you manage to pull of such a low SAT score?

By Smartblond (Smartblond) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I know the SAT seems low, but im retaking the next two years as well.... I took it in 9th grade and got a 1040... and both of these scores is w/ no like... studying. Im planning to study this time, and countin on about a 1400.

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Don't take it personally, but don't waste your time and money on Harvard. You won't make it past the first cut.

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

Ok..you don't need at least a 1500 to be competitive at Harvard. 1490 is fine haha. No only kidding. I think if you get yourself to 1400 you're in the running. But unless you have a major hook, 1170 will not get you in. Buy 10 Real SATS and take Practice Tests. It's the best way to improve. Try and get to 1400. If you come close, but don't get to 1400, apply anyway and see what happens. Unless money is a problem even for application fees. If it really is your dream school, you've got to give it a shot. Really shine on your essays and get great recs. You have plenty of time to improve. When I was in 10th grade, I got a 920 on the PSATS (lol I know pathetic). Now I've gotten a 1310 and on practices I've nearly broke 1500. Seriously, you can always improve with the SATS. Good luck with everything.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page