22 year old transfer student, army vet, 4.0 GPA, chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: 22 year old transfer student, army vet, 4.0 GPA, chances?
By Rls (Rls) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Hello all, I am a 22 year old male African-American community college student. After two semesters, I have a 4.0 GPA at the school I'm attending. I've been out of school for 5 years because I went into the Army. I am also a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I'm working hard to gain credit hours in general education coursework in order to transfer to a larger university in Fall '05. When I apply to colleges in January, I will have around 31 credit hours (although I think only around 20 will transfer), and I will be in the middle of taking 12-15 more. NYU and USC are my dream schools, but I don't know if I have a shot. As of now, I don't have a lot of extra activities to put on my transcript because I work 30 hours a week at a second job in addition to carrying a full time load at school and working with the Army Reserve. I'm in Colorado right now, but I'm fortunate enough to qualify for a veterans program which will pay tuition and fees for any school I get accepted to. I am planning to apply to Northwestern, Pepperdine, NYU, USC, CU-Boulder, and Boston University. I'd like some honest feedback about what you all perceive my chances to be. I am dead serious about school, and all I need is to get my foot in the door and I know I will excel.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

I'm not familiar with transfer chances so all I can do is provide encouragement and the same old advice - apply to a range of schools (I think you might add another safety), and take special care to produce a good essay. Make sure that you talk with the admissions folks at all of your schools to determine transfer requirements. Don't worry about EC's - hard to do them when you're defending your country. Best wishes to you.

By Kepler797 (Kepler797) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

what do you want to major in?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

If your grades remain that good in community college, definitely take a shot at all those on your list. Transfer admission rates at USC and NYU are about the same as they are for freshmen -- around 32%. You have one plus as a URM. You have a definite second plus as an older student who is a war veteran (I am assuming honorable discharge). You really need not worry about all those extra activities; that is mainly a freshman factor and war veteran trumps them all. Col Boulder, if those grades remain high, should be a safety.

By Rls (Rls) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I plan to major in business administration with a minor in marketing. It is a goal of mine to break into the marketing/advertising side of hollywood, so maybe I'll have a hand in advertising some of those big summer movies that will come out 7-10 years from now (lol).

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

Just curious, but what was your MOS?

By Rls (Rls) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

My MOS was 11B, infantry, so I wasn't just sitting on my keister getting combat pay by any means.

By Sixthedition (Sixthedition) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

My opinion is that with a 4.0 you will look pretty sweet to most schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page