UIUC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: UIUC
By Ck61188 (Ck61188) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

i'm probably not going to uiuc, but i'm applying there anyways and was just curious if i could get in. some stats:

Graduating high school a year early
SAT: 1440 (660V, 780M), retaking this fall
ACT: 29 (sucks i know, but retaking this fall)
SATII: taking mathiic and writing. got 800 on practice mathiic test.
GPA: 4.0UW, 4.8W
APs: Euro 5, Psych 5
senior APs: Calc AB, Chem, Physics C, USH
co-curriculars: yearbook 2yrs- index editor first year, section editor second
orchestra 3yrs: elected orchestra librarian
extra-curriculars: community orchestra(2yrs), Model UN (2yrs), JV track (1yr), Science Olympiad (1yr), NHS (1yr), recieving private cello lessons (8yrs), played soccer for 10yrs but got injured before hs... so not sure if i'll get any points for that.

personal statement is... somewhat depressing. i basically tell how i came to decide to graduate early, which isn't a happy story, but my counselor suggested i include that so that the adcoms don't assume i just decided to graduate early on some random impulse.

oh, by the way, i'm applying to engineering, probably nuclear, plasma, and radiological engineering, or possibly biomed.

just wondering, anyone know when uiuc releases applications for 2005? i've been checking their website over the last couple months but they still only have 2004 on it.

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

You pretty much are in. The class rank is perfect and the SAT is good for engineering. Those two things are pretty much all they look at.

Just a note: SAT IIs don't count at all at UIUC.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

UIUC Engineering is a safety, except possibly for biomed. The reason is that biomed is a new program and they may be restricting enrollment for the first couple of years. The 2005 application will probably give 25th-75th percentile numbers for the various majors.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

UIUC generally puts up its new apps sometime during last half of September because it really does not want to start receiving apps until then. Your SAT and class rank give you a high chance of admission although, as noted, biomed is going to be a limited admission program. Key elements to admission are courses taken, class rank, SAT or ACT score (you should send your SAT), and essay -- and the last more so for borderline cases. Though UIUC has some favortism for admitting in-state residents it is a lot less than you will find at most state schools. As noted, SAT II's are not relied on for admission. Cannot tell what you are actually doing in your essay but you want to avoid creating impression that you might be depressed, have serious problems with school authorities, or other things that might indicate you won't stick around in college.

By Ck61188 (Ck61188) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

long story short... had a plan for high school and college going in, but getting injured kinda made everything fall apart. i've never really recovered emotionally, as well as physically, from injury, so i just think that getting out of high school where i don't really have any friends because they all graduated, and away from classes that i don't even find challenging at all, with the exception of euro history, would help me move on.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page