Advice for the average

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Advice for the average
By Control25 (Control25) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Well here it is: 3.4 /1100 (instate CA)
probably only csu admission? (Index approx 3500)

Chico*/Long Beach/ SFSU/northridge

LSU*/Alabama*/Indiana*/Arizona*/UArizona*
*favorites
possible undecided major/science/business

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

By Control25 (Control25) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Oh, may be important-female caucasian

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

You're right that CSUs are the ones to look at in California. If you're interested in the Bay Area, also think about CSU Hayward, which is expanding the number of residential students. Also Monterey Bay and Sacramento for science.

Another possibility could be UOP (University of the Pacific) in Stockton.

By Control25 (Control25) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Actually, Bay area is my backyard,(mainly)looking for a good 'college community/town'to get my feet wet,(for transfer?) Chico offers this beacause there is nothing else around,plus it is really gaining a good rep in CSU's,unfortunately, in Hayward, "there is no there,there", LB, I think depends on it's surrounding towns for 'cachet' it's sort of a convention town on it's own, I am begining to think it is not a good fit.SFSU could be a fun safety, but maybe too close to home. Monterey is the ocean w/o a beach scene, UOP is probably a little small/low profile, will check Sac State,never considered it,thank you.I would love to get in at LSU or Indiana/Arizon then decide.

By Control25 (Control25) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

anybody's thoughts on csu chico / sf vs lsu/asu/uariz/alabama or UGA
(for 3.4 /1100) for cali girl

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

hey there

lousiana state would be a good fit, their average incoming gpa is 3.5 so youre around there, and they have a good science program. i dunno if you'd want to pay out-of-state tuition but hey, good football school.

you fit into alabama even more, 3.4 incoming gpa and your sat score is good fit. bama's for suited for business (marketing/management).

if u want a good business cal state, try cal poly san luis obispo, although its gonna be tougher to get into.

however, since youre looking into cal states and business, i suggest this: where do you want to work? most cal states prepare u for a job when u graduate, and recruiters who visit the cal state campuses are probably going to be local companies.

im from southern california, and i know long beach is pretty big. not every part of long beach seems to be a "convention town." by the way, long beach is in a good strategic location, very close to LA but not far from Orange county, so you got your choice of activities. but LB is also harder to get into.

you might want to research schools that match your gpa and sat scores, because for these state schools, theyll ultimately plug your numbers into a machine and that'll determine whether u get in or not. so play it safe and come spring, youll have plenty of options to visit

good luck!

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

oh i forgot to add, 3.4 and 1100 isnt so bad. if youre daring, go for a UC!

your sat score is average for UC santa cruz, which also has an average incoming gpa of 3.5 santa cruz is also good in the sciences, especially biology.

youre an even better fit for UC riverside, good sat score, average gpa is 3.4 and riverside has awesome biology and business administration programs. i go to ucla, but UCR was actually one of the schools i liked before i chose LA, its bio program is pretty good, and dont have that image that the school sucks bcuz i loved it when i visited (although its location does suck haha). but i guess being closer to LA and OC is better than chico... which is in the middle of nowhere and hence, the kegs come out. chico = party school ;)

oh yea, the area around northridge sucks. but i dont know too much about the school, i just live in southern cali, thats all.

again, good luck!

By Control25 (Control25) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

Thanks kfc, I am shying away from uc's one reason, only 2 years language(?) I know they say 2 reccmended but that really means 3-4 required at UC's although I am tempted to apply to UCSC do the do rolling or EA? Never thought about Riverside-thought it was an armpit-no? You're right about Chico- middle of nowhere but the high % of residents creates a good college community.Would love to go to "big"school with sports/spirit profile,hence LSU/IU/Ariz/Alabama...
Am retaking sat's in Oct.
Thanks for input!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page