Desperate for top school advice (help!)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Desperate for top school advice (help!)
By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Hey all...this is a repost from last year...I have most of my statistics down and asking for a second look please.

I am a Chinese male from Pennsylvania.

University of Pennsylvania (Wharton
Harvard College
Yale University
New York University (Stern)
Princeton University
Penn State University (safety)

(in that order of priority)
I am very interested in business, especially the banking and finance sector.

Here are my STATS:
SAT I: 1550 (760 V, 790 M) only took once
SAT IIs: 790 Math IIC
770 Writing
Taking Chemistry in October
AP Classes: AP US History (5), AP Statistics (4), AP Chemistry (3)
Currently ranked 4/440 at a public high school

My GPA is 99.29 weighted My school uses the 0-100 scale GPA...I do not know what it would be unweighted.
I am taking the most demanding AP curriculum possible right now and will take 3 more APs next year: AP Calc AB, AP Psychology, and AP English

I have very good teacher recs/guidance counselor recs coming up. I am also planning on asking for a supplementary letter from my Pennsylvania Governor's School director.

Extracurriculars:

SAT Club Founder (11) created a club to assist students with their SAT tests, highly recognized by both my English teacher and guidance counselor
Spanish Club (9, 10, 11, 12) Current President
Key Club (9, 10, 11, 12) Treasurer in 12th grade
Anchor Club (9, 10, 11, 12)
School Newspaper (11, 12) high chance of section editor position next year
Class Council (11, 12) - on the prom committee
National Honor Society (11, 12) competing for an officer position next year

Minor Activities:

Peer Tutor (10, 11, 12)
Math Club (10, 11, 12)
Science Club (10, 11, 12) will hold an officer position in this club next year
Academic Team (11, 12)

Sports:

Track and Field (9, 10)
Tennis (11, 12) will be on varsity senior year

Volunteer Work:

Volunteered at a local library (summer of 9th grade) ~100 hrs
Volunteered at a local hospital (summer of 10th grade) ~100 hrs

Summer Travels: (it asks for this in your college application; kinda weird)

Went to Spain in summer of 10th grade for 2 weeks
Went to DisneyWorld and Myrtle Beach for 2 weeks this summer =)

Awards:
Distinguished Honor Roll (9, 10, 11, 12)

Attended Pennsylvania Governor's School for Global Entrepreneurship this summer for 5 weeks--selection was very competitive...11% acceptance

Also, I am starting a job at Kohl's at about 24 hours a week in my senior year.

I am mostly interested in staying in the Northeast: this is my hometown. Please tell me my chances at any one of these colleges. Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated and considered. Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this. I will respect all of your opinions and try to reply as soon as possible.

Thanks a ton!!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

See you at wharton!

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Good list. I would guess 3-4 accepts, 2-3 wl or rejects. Don't mess up your grades with the job, though. Good luck.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

all sounds good I'll try to keep in mind about the job Ohio_Mom...anyone else have any comments?? I was really considering Harvard but I don't want to use an early decision on it...I am afraid of getting rejected then having the nerve-wracking wait in april for other schools.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

What offerings do HPY have for business? If you are intent in studying business, they may not be the best choices for you. You need to think hard about what you want to study in college and make sure the schools where you apply have the programs you want. I have seen kids make this mistake several times, targetting an area that does not really exist at a school. HPY tend to like students who want to go into the academia so your plans are not going to really mesh with the type of student they like. At Penn, you have Wharton and at NYU, you have Stern but I don't think there are such counterparts at some of the schools you have picked.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Thanks for that Jamimom. I understand that HYP are more for further studies...however I also plan to attend graduate school for business too...

Keeping this in mind, what is your opinion?
Anyone else on chances/ways to improve and what not? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

bump for more opinions??

By Ghard (Ghard) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

You're a competitive candidate for those schools, and have a good shot at them. Good luck!

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

no more posts? *shocked face* aww come on guys... :) I'm in the process of writing essays now...long haul

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

As you probably already know, you are a good candidate statistically for the top schools. You probably also know that even being in the running leaves you a long chance in getting in as there are so many kids with those stats that are rejected. That is why it is important that you have enthusiasm and plans about what you want from those schools as they do assess you on what you bring to the table and a personal match. Seriously, someone looking at the schools as a stepping stone for an MBA at this level is not as well received. So you need to take a long hard look at how you fit in with their priorities. Then you need to "Package" yourself accordingly. "Rock Hard Apps" is a book you might want to peruse in putting your apps together.

The road to a MBA is a long one with good work experience a key. Though it is great that you have long term plans and are preparing for them, getting into an ultra selective school requires focusing on what those schools want.

By Shafted (Shafted) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

you have really really good ec's and test scores
you should get into most of your top choices

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page