Need Help Deciding!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Need Help Deciding!
By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

well, heres my deal. I like Wharton a lot and I like Yale a lot. But i also know i want to do business when i come out. I know Wharton kick ass with business but part of me still want that Yale pie. I need help on deciding which school i should apply early to. Also, another factor is chances. I know if i apply to Wharton ED, I have a better chance than Yale EA. Here are my stats.. tell me what you guys think. If you can, give me a % wise chance u think i have of getting into Yale EA and Wharton ED.

School Type: Public
Race/Gender: Chinese
Prospective Major: Economics, Political Science
Unweighted GPA: 3.9
Weighted GPA: 4.32

SAT I Scores
SAT I Math: 760
SAT I Verbal: 720

SAT II Scores
SAT II Writing: 720
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SAT II Molecular Biology: 790
SAT II Chemistry: 730

Long-form Info

Extracurricular Info
1. Key Club President - Biggest club at High School. Very involved within the club. Will be 3rd year in the club, 1st as President. (Used to be 2005 Class Rep)(3rd year)
- I organize a LOT of events and I will be starting a new event this fall to tutor at the local Elementary school and maybe start a sandwich program to serve the local men's shelter.
2. Young Musicians Program - Very selective music program at University of California, Berkeley (on average, 5-15 gets in out of 150-200. This year, there was an influx of new students (30), but all of them were little kids because many people got kicked out) We get a full scholarship for lessons throughout the year, a conservatory style schooling during the summer and each YMP student gets to have a meeting with the UC Berkeley Adcom and receives a letter of recommendation to go to UCB. Almost every single student that apply to UCB has gotten in from YMP in the past 5 years, all with much lower stats than me. (7th year)
----- Piano (9 years), Most difficult pieces played - "Waldstein" Sonata no. 21 by Beethoven (1st movt, learning 2nd+3rd), Chopin Etude Op. 25 no.1,no.11.
----- Clarinet (7 years), are not taking lessons anymore, but still participates regularly in chamber and orchestral music.
3. Asian Pacific Islander Committee - This will be my 2nd year as the Public Relations Team Leader. The purpose of APIC is to organize and hold an annual festival celebrating Asian American heritage. We're one of the few similar student led committee/clubs in the country. (3rd year)
4. ASB Treasurer - Just won this position after a hard fought battle before school ended. I helped organize Freshman orientation, new building opening and will receive much more duties this year. (1st year)
5. Youth and Government - National Issues Commission Chair this year. Self-explanatory. (3rd year)
6. Maverick Institute - Founding Member. This is a student found and student ran Think-tank. We are in our first year.Our current issue is Aquaculture and we look forward to publishing an article by the end of the summer. We are also going to be featured on a newspaper as one of the only youth think-tanks in the country.(1st year)
7.Gen Dean Local Chapter president. I worked with Gen Dean for several months before Dean lost in the primaries... I met him too... (several months in 11th grade)
8. National Honor Society - Generic.
9. Football - Freshman, Soph year.

AP Tests -
Biology - 5
Calculus B/C - 5
Statistics - 5
Chemistry - 4

Approx. 300+ hours of volunteering.
My school only has 3 honors classes (all math), and does not rank or weigh our GPAs. But we have plenty of AP tests and my weighted GPA is weighted by almost only AP Classes. No B.S. Honors weighing.

Senior Schedule -
AP Physics C
AP Literature
AP Economics / AP Government
Math 53/54 M at UCBerkeley (Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra)
Politics and Power

Most of my Bs that I have received are from Freshman year. (4 Bs in freshman year, 2 Bs in combined Soph+jr year) So without freshman year, my Unweighted GPA is about a 3.94.

Schedule is without a doubt one of the most rigorous at my High School.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Info
School size - 2800
Dad- No college degree. Car Mechanic, but owns his own shop now.
Mom- No college degree. Factory Worker.

Immigrated here from China in 1993,when I was 6. Came here extremely poor.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:42 am: Edit

If money is a factor, I would go Yale EA.

That way, you can compare financial-aid decisions. Your stats are amazing, so I'm sure that Wharton will accept you RD.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

i would go wharton ed if money isn't a factor, but if it is, i agree with the first poster

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

Ditto Celebrian23 and Davidrune. If you are accepted to Wharton ED and can't afford to attend, you are in a world of hurt.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

isn't wharton the best for grad, why would you want to go there for undergrad if that's so, why not just go yale undergrad and wharton grad, either way they always look at your grad school

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

i don't think you'll get into yale, unless your music thing is a big hook and their music department wants you. yale would give you better aid than wharton, though.

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Well money really isnt a super big factor. My family, after coming here poor, kind of hit it off pretty well here.. we're talking 120+ thousand per year... and im an only child... But i'm just kinda stuck right now.. because i really like both of these schools but i know Wharton ED will give me a much better chance to get in.. but i still like Yale... and i really want to end up at one of these two amazing schools....

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I posted something to "Desperate for Top School Advice" that would pertain to you as well. You are further along than that poster in that you know that Yale does not have a business program. But if you truly want to go into business after college and you know that is the subject you want to study, Wharton is really a better fit for you. Yale is really looking more for those interested in furthering academia; that is like a fundamental to some schools. It is difficult to side step an issue that you know is a major factor in your life.

Both schools are lottery tickets--Wharton is very selective and RD makes it even more so. There is no telling what things will be EA this year for Yale--last year was very tough because of the deluge of early applications. The big question is why you want to go to Yale if it does not provide your area of interest. I would say that Penn is a better fit, and if you are off on a tangent with Yale, I would not jeopardize my chances with Penn. But the decision is binding there. I would sit and honestly write out why you want to go to Yale and what you would bring to the table at that school. See if your interests and directions really belong there.

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

you know what, I think you are right. I'm going to write a list out. Thanks Jamimom.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page