Chances at a UC school as a transfer student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at a UC school as a transfer student
By Donna1787 (Donna1787) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

I'm going to be a sophomore at Ohio State University in the fall and am planning on applying to a University of California school (UCI, UCLA, UC San Diego, UCSC, etc) for my junior year. My current GPA is a 3.1, as an Honors student. My major is Political Science and Business. How are my chances for getting in?

Does anyone know when the transfer application deadline is? I was hoping that if it was after December, I can get my GPA up after my first quarter, because I didn't do too great my freshmen year with my 3.1 GPA.

By Lazieeryceboi (Lazieeryceboi) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

I believe the deadlines for Spring and Fall semesters are October 31(Spring) and November 31 (Fall). I've heard that transferring to a UC is easy, but since you're not a California resident, I don't really know. I know a Californian with a 3.1 would get into UCI, UCSC, UCD, and probable UCSD.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

Donna,
It pretty hard to transfer in from out of state. The seats are ussually saved for community college students in california then other 4 year students in california and then other 4 year students in general. I dont think a 3.1 from an out of state 4 year has that great a shot at ucla/ucsd ( average transfer from a cc within cali is like 3.4 at ucsd and 3.5 at ucla but varies widely). I would say you have a better shot at uci or ucsc but you are at a pretty big disadvantage. I think you should apply though you never really know what can happen. I talked to reps from UCLA and UCSD and they pretty much took the attitude that they are there for california CC people and if you went to a 4 year first you are already there and should probably finish there, where as the CC kids sucked it up at CC (after getting denied from a uc out of h.s)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page