Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: UNC-CH Chances, Others
By Hawaii2233 (Hawaii2233) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

SAT 1390: 720 Verbal, 670 Math
SAT IIs: US History 710, World History 760
APs: 5 Environmental Science, 4 English Language
GPA: 4.55 (Weighted) 3.9 (Unweighted)
Class Rank: 21/455
Probable Major: Economics

I'm half Asian-half White and wondering about my chances mostly at UNC-CH and NC-State. I'm a North Carolina resident so that will lower the standards a tad... I also would like to know what you think my chances are at some of the more elite schools, like Georgetown or even Duke, though I really don't consider these options at this point.

I have no extracurricular activities that I could list to a college: this is due somewhat to the fact that I never wanted to any of those silly things, but mostly due to the fact that I have attended five different high schools in very diverse locations (Hawaii, Utah, and NC for example,) which rendered the possibility of attempting any long-term ec's practically impossible.

My class rank is also a little unfair due to the fact I moved around so much. The schools in Hawaii and Utah offered very few honors and no AP courses, so I am permanently at a disadvantage as compared to students who have been able to gain bonus points on their GPA.

Thanks for you input!

By Hawaii2233 (Hawaii2233) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

By Hawaii2233 (Hawaii2233) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Your highschool counselor is the best source for this information. Though many school counselors are not so helpful when you are applying to a spread of schools everywhere, I have found that they are usually right on the money with the state system and local schools simply because so many kids from the school apply to the same schools. By looking at your stats he will know how similar kids fared in the past from your high school.

My understanding is that Duke has a fixed quota for Carolina kids and as a result admissions is more generous for them. Duke heavily counts ECs, however, and that may be an issue. State schools generally are plug in numbers and it seems to me that you are in the ball park for Chapel Hill and the other public unis will be safeties for you. But then again, I am not a NC person.

By Yugekorb (Yugekorb) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

I would be very surprised if you were rejected from UNC-CH. State is easily a safety. You lack of EC's would definately hurt your chances at any top schools. Is there anything that's near by that you can join now? do volunteer work?

By Hawaii2233 (Hawaii2233) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I forgot the one extracurricular activity that I might be able to list - I joined the student council this year? Would that better my chances any?
Thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page