International in Princeton ED??!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: International in Princeton ED??!!
By Trialboy (Trialboy) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Hi!

By Trialboy (Trialboy) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Hello,

I'm Bulgarian and I decided to apply ED in Princeton. So, please, point the strong and the weak parts in my profile and evaluate my chances. It'll be great if you give any suggestions, too.

My results are:

SAT I Math 760
Verbal 610
(1370)
SAT II Math IIC 790
Physics 760
Writing during the next SAT
session
TOEFL 270 (computer based)

I'll take the SAT I once again.

I've studied in the best high-school (1st English Language School) in my city which is the 3rd greatest city in Bulgaria. My equivalent of GPA is 5.83 (the maximum is 6.00) which should be about 3.83. We don't have official ranking of the graduating class but I'm somewhere in the top 10%.

Extra Curriculums:

I've been playing piano and keyboards for more than 11 years. I've played with some of the famous pop bands in Bulgaria (chiefly with one for a very long period and many other projects) and we have professional records, concerts, awards and so on (for example, now my band is invited to be a support band for the promotion concert of the Nicolo Kotzev and Joe Lynn Turner - ex-Deep Purple-vocalist - worldwide tour ). I do not only the playing but also the management, the PR, and a large part of the technical stuff.

The other thing that I've been dedicated to is Math and computer sciences. During highschool I was in the math team. I participated in a lot of math contests. In the 9th grade I've reached the pre-final round of the National Math Olympiad Contest (the last round before the National Math Team). In the 10th grade our school team won the National Math Contest for high-schools and I won the 5th place in the single ranking. After graduating from high-school I continued working in this area. I studied higher mathematics: linear algebra, analytic geometry, differential and integral mathematics, discrete mathematics and logic.

Other Activities:

Organizing and participating in every concert and fest in my
high-school (cultural counselor);
Charity concerts;
I've participated in the high-school government;
I was in the high-school track and field team;
Essay published in a national newspaper;
And others like that.

After That:
I graduated from the high-school in 2002 and I moved to the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia. There I worked for the family business (heater and air-conditioner engineering) and with my band we broke into show business. During these two years I developed my knowledge in Math and Computer Programming. I took curses in higher mathematics in the areas of linear algebra, analytic geometry, math analysis and discrete mathematics along with programming (Pascal and Delphi) and algorithms.

Thank you in advance!

By Tan125 (Tan125) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

nice, i suggest you apply for regular decision since your SAT is not very high. the early decision pool might be too competitive. however your ECs look good.

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

i don't think you'll get in, your scores aren't high enough and your ec's aren't spectacular, but if princeton is your school apply early decision, rd you won't stand a chance

By Astrix (Astrix) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:51 am: Edit

No, actually you have a good chance. You've obviously been dedicated in your involvement in music and still kept up an interest in math/cs

1370 is not a bad score, or "not good enough" for Princeton. It would, of course, improve your chances if you increased your verbal.

Apply ED and good luck!

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:39 am: Edit

Retake the SAT in Nov, Princeton WILL accept the Nov scores for ED

good luck

By Trialboy (Trialboy) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Thanks! Anybody else?

By Trialboy (Trialboy) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:54 am: Edit

Please!

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

You can give it a try. ED will give you a big boost in selectivity, and math majors are rare birds, so you do have a shot at it. You can send the SATs after your October writing score gets there, and then sit for the Nov test having them rushed if they are an improvement. I suggest you start looking at some other schools as well. Princeton is a lottery ticket for everyone.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page