Will I get accepted into Vanderbilt?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Will I get accepted into Vanderbilt?
By Annak721 (Annak721) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

White female
Public School in Pennsylvania
~4.0 GPA
1370 SAT (710 M : 660 V)(should i take the SAT again?)
SAT IIs: Biology(680), Chemistry (680), Math IIC(660), Writing(660), US History(560)

I run both cross country(4yrs varsity) and track and field(4yrs varsity plus 3 school records)and i am varsity captain of both teams
Active member of Future Business Leaders of America, Key Club, and the jazz/concert band(clarinet)
I also participate in Envirothon, Mathletes, Ski Club and Spanish Club
I also row at a local club on the Delaware River
20+ volunteering at road races
15+ hours of volunteering for different programs
4 weeks as a counselor in training at an overnight camp (volunteering)

APs by end of high school:
United States History (10th grade: score of 4)
Biology (11th grade: score of 4)
Chemistry (11th grade: score of 5)
Language and Composition (12th)
Calculus AB (12th)
Physics C (12th)

I am also taking Anatomy and Physiology as part of a program run through Penn State University where i will receive approx. 6 Penn State Credits

In my 9th grade year i took an independent study on the Brain, where i designed the course and material which i learned

My schedule was/is the most rigorous that my school offers (my school is only 400 people in grades 9-12 so its hard to take all the classes you want)--at the conclusion of my senior year i will have taken 6 math courses, 4 english, 4 history, 3 (or 4) language, 6 science, ~4years of band, plus other electives

I am looking to major in Chemical Engineering with a possible minor in Mathematics

What are my chances at getting accepted into Vanderbilt? and what other schools would I be a good fit at?
I have visited Vanderbilt and I fell in love with the campus, the people, and their excellent engineering curriculum

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

can anyone please help me about my chances with Vandy??

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

You look in really good shape. I would encourage you to apply ED if you like it that much. Vandy's accpetance rate has been falling three or four perfect every year, so its getting alot harder to get in but I still think you have a good shot...I'd recommend trying to raise your SAT if possible, but its not completely necessary. I also think you'd have a good shot at other top twenty schools, like Emory and Rice...but like I said, 1400+ would hep you alot.

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

thank you...i'm pretty sure that i'm going to take the SATs again in october

By 007 (007) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

and better take some SAT II's in which you will score 700+

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

i'm most likely going to retake the math iic and the writing SAT IIS

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

does anyone else have some input on my chances??

By Ghard (Ghard) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

You have a decent chance, but try and raise that SAT score, and try and raise some of those SAT II's. What happened with US History?

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

ehh my US History i bombed the SAT II b/c i took it in June and my class had stopped at the end of April and i was just focused on my finals at that time and plus it was my first AP class/SAT II being as it was my sophomore year...i hoping that it wont hurt me too much considering i want to apply to the engineering school ....but i am definitely going to retake the SAT possibly in October after taking a class and doing some prep work hopefully raising it to mid to high 1400s...would that put me in better standing?

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

...bump...

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

I know a young lady who is going there with stats similar to yours. You have a good chance as a prospective female engineer/math student. This girl was accepted to Wake Forest, Lafeyette and Bucknell as well. She was waitlisted at Duke, BC and Wash U. She was accepted with money at a number of her less selective schools including Rensselaer and Clarkson. So you can see the importance of having a nice spread of schools. It can go either way with Vanderbilt for you depending on what their admission pool looks like this year. By all means, you should apply, as you do fit the profile of what they want, but you are not in the upper level of their student stats so you should find a few schools where you are.

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

thank you...yes i am also looking to apply to Penn State University Park (in-state), Bucknell, Lehigh, and Clemson...im hoping that i can bump my SAT scores up a little to help me become a better match at Vanderbilt

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

Get that app into Penn State early. The engineering spots fill up fast there. It looks good for you. Good luck.

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

thank you...i actually am going to send my app for Penn State sometime next week, i just need my GC to do some stuff for me

By Annak721 (Annak721) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

does anyone else have any input on my chances at vanderbilt?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page